Unpredictability saves ‘Kings’

To some, Keanu Reeves will never be able to shake off that mediocre acting and his “whoa, dude” mentality. But in Street Kings, an L.A crime drama that also stars Forest Whitaker and House’s Hugh Laurie, Reeves has a few moments of badass brilliance.

Reeves plays Detective Tom Ludlow, who stops crooks in less-than-ethical ways. But Ludlow isn’t the only bad cop in his precinct, as his boss Captain Jack Wander (Whitaker) plays a big part in the corruption of the Los Angeles Police Department.

Directed by David Ayer (Training Day), Street Kings looks like just another average cop drama with rapper cameos. But what makes this film stand out is its unique blend of unexpected turns and interesting casting selections. Rapper Common shines in his few scenes as a thugged-out drug kingpin, while Jay Mohr takes a break from his previous funny-guy roles to play a convincing police officer.

At times, it can be difficult to take Reeves seriously. However, Street Kings still has plenty of action for the thrill seekers, as well as unpredictable story twists for those looking for more substance.

Felipe Yanez may be contacted at f.yanez@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...