UM ATHLETICS: Pep rally celebrates athletes who brought three titles to UM

With three more national titles to add to the school’s rapidly growing list, Category 5 took time Wednesday to honor those who earned them.

Junior sprinter Krista Simkins, along with sophomore divers Brittany Viola and Reuben Ross were on hand for a pep rally to celebrate the three athletes’ recent accomplishments.

Ross and Viola both won NCAA championships in March. Ross won the men’s three-meter springboard less than one week after Viola won the women’s platform event.

Simkins also took home an NCAA national title March 15, when she won the indoor 400-meter title with a time of 52.16.

A crowd of about 50 people was on hand in the lower lounge of the UC to congratulate the three student-athletes.

The pep rally was kicked off with music and a quick introduction as the excited fans quickly quieted down to hear the three athletes speak.

Viola, the third women’s diver in school history to win an NCAA title, spoke first, thanking everyone at the event.

“We’re so happy to be part of this program and to have all this support behind us,” she said.

Ross and Simkins agreed, thanking coaches and fans before giving way to President Donna E. Shalala who, after making sure she got the athletes’ autographs, called them all “outstanding representatives for the university.”

The pep rally, which in itself only lasted a little more than five minutes, ended with Sebastian leading the rambunctious crowd in a C-A-N-E-S chant.

Simkins, Viola and Ross all stayed to sign autographs and chat a good 30 minutes after the rally was over.

When asked to reflect on the season, Ross said, “winning the National Championship did not come without a price,” alluding to all the work the three put into their respective sports throughout the year.

Simkins was not ready to reflect just yet, instead looking ahead to the NCAA Outdoor Championships in June, saying, “I’m still looking to defend my title.”

“I’m going to the Olympics,” Shalala said, “and I expect to see each one of them there.”

When told of Shalala’s comments, the three athletes all exchanged glances and smiles before Ross spoke saying emphatically, “That’s the plan.”

Tom Murphy may be contacted at t.murphy6@umiami.edu.

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...