Tents coming back to the Green

Finals week is often a stressful time for students who try to find room to study. The library is crowded and people stake out spots for hours, and college surroundings can be loud and distracting.

Starting Friday, the university is erecting three study tents in front of Richter Library to alleviate the overcrowding in the library and give room to students who need to meet in groups. The tents, which first appeared last semester during finals week, will be set up between 5 and 6 p.m. on the UC Green in front of the library.

The tents will continue to appear during finals week as long as “we have good success and feedback from students,” said Richard Walker, assistant vice president for Student Affairs. “They will be open 24 hours a day until May 8.”

Security guards will be stationed from 7 p.m. to 8 a.m. daily to protect students who study all night.

Walker said that the tents were not intended to be a quiet study space, but rather for conversational group study. Electric outlets are not available within the tents for students who use their laptops as their main tool to study.

Student activities and chaplain religious groups associations will be providing free juice and coffee periodically.

Yessica Salazar may be contacted at y.salazar1@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...