Tents coming back to the Green

Finals week is often a stressful time for students who try to find room to study. The library is crowded and people stake out spots for hours, and college surroundings can be loud and distracting.

Starting Friday, the university is erecting three study tents in front of Richter Library to alleviate the overcrowding in the library and give room to students who need to meet in groups. The tents, which first appeared last semester during finals week, will be set up between 5 and 6 p.m. on the UC Green in front of the library.

The tents will continue to appear during finals week as long as “we have good success and feedback from students,” said Richard Walker, assistant vice president for Student Affairs. “They will be open 24 hours a day until May 8.”

Security guards will be stationed from 7 p.m. to 8 a.m. daily to protect students who study all night.

Walker said that the tents were not intended to be a quiet study space, but rather for conversational group study. Electric outlets are not available within the tents for students who use their laptops as their main tool to study.

Student activities and chaplain religious groups associations will be providing free juice and coffee periodically.

Yessica Salazar may be contacted at y.salazar1@umiami.edu.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...