Tents coming back to the Green

Finals week is often a stressful time for students who try to find room to study. The library is crowded and people stake out spots for hours, and college surroundings can be loud and distracting.

Starting Friday, the university is erecting three study tents in front of Richter Library to alleviate the overcrowding in the library and give room to students who need to meet in groups. The tents, which first appeared last semester during finals week, will be set up between 5 and 6 p.m. on the UC Green in front of the library.

The tents will continue to appear during finals week as long as “we have good success and feedback from students,” said Richard Walker, assistant vice president for Student Affairs. “They will be open 24 hours a day until May 8.”

Security guards will be stationed from 7 p.m. to 8 a.m. daily to protect students who study all night.

Walker said that the tents were not intended to be a quiet study space, but rather for conversational group study. Electric outlets are not available within the tents for students who use their laptops as their main tool to study.

Student activities and chaplain religious groups associations will be providing free juice and coffee periodically.

Yessica Salazar may be contacted at y.salazar1@umiami.edu.

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...