SPORTS BRIEFS

Baseball
Hurricane concensus No. 1

The University of Miami baseball team claimed the No. 1 spot in each of the major collegiate baseball polls. The Hurricanes are now ranked No. 1 in the USA Today/ESPN Top 25, Baseball America, National Collegiate Baseball Writers’ Association and College Baseball Newspaper polls. The Hurricanes also held onto the top spot in a number of other polls, including the Rivals.com, PingBaseballPerfect Game Crosschecker and CollegeBaseballHub.com rankings.

Rowing
Hurricanes earn All-ACC honors

University of Miami juniors Laura Cordner and Kelly Amsler were both recently named to the 2008 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Rowing Team. For Cordner, it was her second year in a row that she has earned the honor.

Women’s soccer
Addition to coaching staff

The Miami Hurricanes women’s soccer team recently announced the addition of Greg Sheen to the coaching staff. Sheen will be taking on the role of assistant coach. He comes to the program having spent the last two years as director of coaching for the AU Capital Soccer Club in Austin, Texas. Sheen also served as the head coach of Morehead State for one year and an assistant coach for Texas for one year.

Women’s Tennis
Vallverdu moves up

Sophomore Laura Vallverdu continues to move up in the women’s tennis rankings. The University of Miami All-American is now ranked No. 19 in singles and No. 20 in doubles, with teammate Romy Farah, by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.

Compiled by Pravin Patel from HurricaneSports.com.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

UM President Julio Frenk will host a town hall meeting Monday with students, faculty, staff, and gue ...

A building at Miami Law is named in honor of Robert Dooley, who donated $1.1 million to support the ...

The use of video game technology helps physicians more accurately diagnose patients suffering from P ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...