SPORTS BRIEFS

Baseball
Hurricane concensus No. 1

The University of Miami baseball team claimed the No. 1 spot in each of the major collegiate baseball polls. The Hurricanes are now ranked No. 1 in the USA Today/ESPN Top 25, Baseball America, National Collegiate Baseball Writers’ Association and College Baseball Newspaper polls. The Hurricanes also held onto the top spot in a number of other polls, including the Rivals.com, PingBaseballPerfect Game Crosschecker and CollegeBaseballHub.com rankings.

Rowing
Hurricanes earn All-ACC honors

University of Miami juniors Laura Cordner and Kelly Amsler were both recently named to the 2008 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Rowing Team. For Cordner, it was her second year in a row that she has earned the honor.

Women’s soccer
Addition to coaching staff

The Miami Hurricanes women’s soccer team recently announced the addition of Greg Sheen to the coaching staff. Sheen will be taking on the role of assistant coach. He comes to the program having spent the last two years as director of coaching for the AU Capital Soccer Club in Austin, Texas. Sheen also served as the head coach of Morehead State for one year and an assistant coach for Texas for one year.

Women’s Tennis
Vallverdu moves up

Sophomore Laura Vallverdu continues to move up in the women’s tennis rankings. The University of Miami All-American is now ranked No. 19 in singles and No. 20 in doubles, with teammate Romy Farah, by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.

Compiled by Pravin Patel from HurricaneSports.com.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...