SPORTS BRIEFS

Baseball
Hurricane concensus No. 1

The University of Miami baseball team claimed the No. 1 spot in each of the major collegiate baseball polls. The Hurricanes are now ranked No. 1 in the USA Today/ESPN Top 25, Baseball America, National Collegiate Baseball Writers’ Association and College Baseball Newspaper polls. The Hurricanes also held onto the top spot in a number of other polls, including the Rivals.com, PingBaseballPerfect Game Crosschecker and CollegeBaseballHub.com rankings.

Rowing
Hurricanes earn All-ACC honors

University of Miami juniors Laura Cordner and Kelly Amsler were both recently named to the 2008 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Rowing Team. For Cordner, it was her second year in a row that she has earned the honor.

Women’s soccer
Addition to coaching staff

The Miami Hurricanes women’s soccer team recently announced the addition of Greg Sheen to the coaching staff. Sheen will be taking on the role of assistant coach. He comes to the program having spent the last two years as director of coaching for the AU Capital Soccer Club in Austin, Texas. Sheen also served as the head coach of Morehead State for one year and an assistant coach for Texas for one year.

Women’s Tennis
Vallverdu moves up

Sophomore Laura Vallverdu continues to move up in the women’s tennis rankings. The University of Miami All-American is now ranked No. 19 in singles and No. 20 in doubles, with teammate Romy Farah, by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.

Compiled by Pravin Patel from HurricaneSports.com.

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...