Plan ahead, get stickers

It’s game day 2008. Football is about to kick off for another season. With the crop of new recruits, you’re ready to watch the Canes.

Several hours later, you arrive at Stanford Circle with all your friends, where the university has provided buses to transport UM students to the game at the Canes’ new home, Dolphin Stadium. This is awesome!

You reached the front of a long line and prepare to board the bus to north Dade.

A bus supervisor says, “You can’t get on the bus! You don’t have a sticker!”

Your friend gets turned down, too because he’s carrying a backpack that is not permitted on the bus.

The way Miami students get to their football games is radically changing next year, just like the place where those games will be played.

It may not have been the most popular move, but it’s a fact of life now, as the Orange Bowl remains half-standing in Little Havana. Dolphin Stadium is the new reality of Miami football.

And that new commute requires the cooperation of students and administration. It seems that the administration is truly making a good-faith effort to commute students effectively and safely.

Vice President for Student Affairs Pat Whitley admits that the proposed transportation plan is likely to change based on the needs and demands of students. It would behoove students to participate in the process. Get your stickers when they’re available. Ride according to the rules of the school and of human decency. Provide feedback to the school when it’s asked for.

So, while it may not be the most convenient idea ever, the university’s plan is something that will attempt to transport thousands of students over 16 miles efficiently and safely. The least you could do in return is get a sticker.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...