Plan ahead, get stickers

It’s game day 2008. Football is about to kick off for another season. With the crop of new recruits, you’re ready to watch the Canes.

Several hours later, you arrive at Stanford Circle with all your friends, where the university has provided buses to transport UM students to the game at the Canes’ new home, Dolphin Stadium. This is awesome!

You reached the front of a long line and prepare to board the bus to north Dade.

A bus supervisor says, “You can’t get on the bus! You don’t have a sticker!”

Your friend gets turned down, too because he’s carrying a backpack that is not permitted on the bus.

The way Miami students get to their football games is radically changing next year, just like the place where those games will be played.

It may not have been the most popular move, but it’s a fact of life now, as the Orange Bowl remains half-standing in Little Havana. Dolphin Stadium is the new reality of Miami football.

And that new commute requires the cooperation of students and administration. It seems that the administration is truly making a good-faith effort to commute students effectively and safely.

Vice President for Student Affairs Pat Whitley admits that the proposed transportation plan is likely to change based on the needs and demands of students. It would behoove students to participate in the process. Get your stickers when they’re available. Ride according to the rules of the school and of human decency. Provide feedback to the school when it’s asked for.

So, while it may not be the most convenient idea ever, the university’s plan is something that will attempt to transport thousands of students over 16 miles efficiently and safely. The least you could do in return is get a sticker.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...