Plan ahead, get stickers

It’s game day 2008. Football is about to kick off for another season. With the crop of new recruits, you’re ready to watch the Canes.

Several hours later, you arrive at Stanford Circle with all your friends, where the university has provided buses to transport UM students to the game at the Canes’ new home, Dolphin Stadium. This is awesome!

You reached the front of a long line and prepare to board the bus to north Dade.

A bus supervisor says, “You can’t get on the bus! You don’t have a sticker!”

Your friend gets turned down, too because he’s carrying a backpack that is not permitted on the bus.

The way Miami students get to their football games is radically changing next year, just like the place where those games will be played.

It may not have been the most popular move, but it’s a fact of life now, as the Orange Bowl remains half-standing in Little Havana. Dolphin Stadium is the new reality of Miami football.

And that new commute requires the cooperation of students and administration. It seems that the administration is truly making a good-faith effort to commute students effectively and safely.

Vice President for Student Affairs Pat Whitley admits that the proposed transportation plan is likely to change based on the needs and demands of students. It would behoove students to participate in the process. Get your stickers when they’re available. Ride according to the rules of the school and of human decency. Provide feedback to the school when it’s asked for.

So, while it may not be the most convenient idea ever, the university’s plan is something that will attempt to transport thousands of students over 16 miles efficiently and safely. The least you could do in return is get a sticker.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...