Perceptions of oppression challenged in tunnel

The UC was an uncomfortable place to be Monday through Wednesday. The ballrooms were transformed into a dark maze covered in images of violence and suffering

Deemed a “sensory-based experimental learning opportunity,” through the utilization of multimedia and interactive tours, the UC Ballrooms were transformed into a “Tunnel of Oppression” Monday through Wednesday.

As indicated in a disclaimer distributed to students awaiting the commencement of their tours, the Tunnel of Oppression, a nationally recognized program that takes place at more than 70 campuses across the country, was designed to challenge student’s perceptions and beliefs on issues dealing with oppression and hatred. This was the first time it has been set up at the University of Miami.

The Tunnel consisted of nine rooms focusing on international human rights, classism, religion, racism, children’s issues, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender issues and sexual assault/body image issues. Amnesty International, Invisible Children, SpectrUM and No Zebras were some of the student organizations involved in the creation of the rooms.

“Too often,

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...