MedSchool Briefs

Miller School using stem cells to help treat heart failure

The Miller School of Medicine is currently conducting a first-of-its-kind clinical trial that uses stem cells to treat heart failure.

Recently a patient underwent a new procedure that could be instrumental in repairing damaged heart tissue.

Joshua Hare, the Miller School’s chief of the Cardiovascular Division, director of the Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute and the study’s leader, said that mesenchymal stem cells were injected directly into the patient’s heart during the patient’s triple bypass surgery, which occured on Monday.

The hope is that the patient’s own stem cells, which were cultured at the University of Miami laboratory, will help to heal the damaged heart tissue.

This patient is the first of 45 people to participate in the National Institute of Health-funded study being conducted at the UM Health System and Johns Hopkins University.

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...