MedSchool Briefs

Miller School using stem cells to help treat heart failure

The Miller School of Medicine is currently conducting a first-of-its-kind clinical trial that uses stem cells to treat heart failure.

Recently a patient underwent a new procedure that could be instrumental in repairing damaged heart tissue.

Joshua Hare, the Miller School’s chief of the Cardiovascular Division, director of the Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute and the study’s leader, said that mesenchymal stem cells were injected directly into the patient’s heart during the patient’s triple bypass surgery, which occured on Monday.

The hope is that the patient’s own stem cells, which were cultured at the University of Miami laboratory, will help to heal the damaged heart tissue.

This patient is the first of 45 people to participate in the National Institute of Health-funded study being conducted at the UM Health System and Johns Hopkins University.

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...