MedSchool Briefs

Miller School using stem cells to help treat heart failure

The Miller School of Medicine is currently conducting a first-of-its-kind clinical trial that uses stem cells to treat heart failure.

Recently a patient underwent a new procedure that could be instrumental in repairing damaged heart tissue.

Joshua Hare, the Miller School’s chief of the Cardiovascular Division, director of the Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute and the study’s leader, said that mesenchymal stem cells were injected directly into the patient’s heart during the patient’s triple bypass surgery, which occured on Monday.

The hope is that the patient’s own stem cells, which were cultured at the University of Miami laboratory, will help to heal the damaged heart tissue.

This patient is the first of 45 people to participate in the National Institute of Health-funded study being conducted at the UM Health System and Johns Hopkins University.

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...