Meditation classes, special offering at Wellness Center

While most students, faculty and alumni go to the Wellness Center to exercise their bodies, a small group go to exercise their minds. Instead of using treadmills, Stairmasters and free weights, the group sits on leather green chairs that surround a long, rectangular conference table on the second floor of the center.

Alumnus Lunthita Duthely, meditation teacher begins evening classes at 7:30 p.m. for an hour-and-half. The class is free and meets 3 times a month. A one-hour class is also offered during lunch once per month.

“I [teach]the class on a volunteer basis in addition to my job,” Lunthita said, adding that her class was inspired by Sri Chinmoy, a spiritual teacher who hosted event about “inner peace.” Seventeen-and-half years ago Lunthita became one of his students.

Participants take the class for various reasons.

“I was traveling next to a Buddhist, I want[ed]to learn how he kept his focus,” said Danny Recio, an alumnus.

In contrast, freshman Jaleesa Robinson said that she goes to the class to learn how to deal with stress and be more focused with school.

Others said they combine mind and body exercise by working out at the gym before taking a yoga class.

“The wellness center is not just a gym..spiritual wellness is a big component to health,” said Ashley Falcon, assistant director at the Wellness Center. Falcon also takes meditation classes and said that the techniques learned can provide stress relief and a decrease in heart rate.

Classes are free and open to students, employees, and the community.

Yessica Salazar may be contacted at y.salazar1@umiami.edu

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...