Meditation classes, special offering at Wellness Center

While most students, faculty and alumni go to the Wellness Center to exercise their bodies, a small group go to exercise their minds. Instead of using treadmills, Stairmasters and free weights, the group sits on leather green chairs that surround a long, rectangular conference table on the second floor of the center.

Alumnus Lunthita Duthely, meditation teacher begins evening classes at 7:30 p.m. for an hour-and-half. The class is free and meets 3 times a month. A one-hour class is also offered during lunch once per month.

“I [teach]the class on a volunteer basis in addition to my job,” Lunthita said, adding that her class was inspired by Sri Chinmoy, a spiritual teacher who hosted event about “inner peace.” Seventeen-and-half years ago Lunthita became one of his students.

Participants take the class for various reasons.

“I was traveling next to a Buddhist, I want[ed]to learn how he kept his focus,” said Danny Recio, an alumnus.

In contrast, freshman Jaleesa Robinson said that she goes to the class to learn how to deal with stress and be more focused with school.

Others said they combine mind and body exercise by working out at the gym before taking a yoga class.

“The wellness center is not just a gym..spiritual wellness is a big component to health,” said Ashley Falcon, assistant director at the Wellness Center. Falcon also takes meditation classes and said that the techniques learned can provide stress relief and a decrease in heart rate.

Classes are free and open to students, employees, and the community.

Yessica Salazar may be contacted at y.salazar1@umiami.edu

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...