Letters to the Editor

You don’t know what you’ve got till you’re in South America

Greetings from Buenos Aires, Argentina!

Buenos Aires, Argentina, is a city with so much European influence it’s unlike any other city in South America. So far I’ve gotten to experience great soccer, amazing tango shows and incredible food. It truly is an unforgettable experience and yet… I find myself realizing how good I have it at UM. First of all, we don’t buy books here in Argentina, we go to a small store on campus and pay incredibly low prices for a photocopy of the entire book. While the idea of not having to purchase books seemed great at the beginning, I’m getting a little tired of missing pages and illegible chapters. (I mean, it is a whole book, so they’re bound to make mistakes.) Printing is not free and you don’t realize how diverse the food selection is at UM until you come across the menu at your new school.

I used to complain about commuting for 20 minutes everyday in my own car to UM, but now my commute consists of a bus, a train and a 30-minute-walk. At this point facing a parking problem seems like no big deal. We also have class for four hours straight. I usually start fidgeting after 1.5 hours so getting used to this schedule is taking time! The point is: I think these experiences serve to show us that we don’t know what we have until we lose it. I’m glad I came on this trip, I’m trying to enjoy every minute of it and I’m learning a great deal about other countries and cultures. All I know is, next semester when get back to Miami I’m going to appreciate every little thing that I’m missing here in Argentina.

– Natalia Yepes
Sophomore

Abortion hoax believable, not funny

Last Friday morning, a scandalous story spread across the Internet: a Yale student named Aliza Shvarts had repeatedly impregnated herself and induced abortions as part of her senior art project for the purpose of “provoking discussion.” Several hours later, the story was revealed to be a hoax.

I have to admit, I’d been fooled. I was, of course, relieved that no fetus had actually died and that no woman had needlessly put herself at risk. But at least one part of the story held true: discussion was provoked. In various forums, people from all political backgrounds wrote that the mantra of “my body my choice” had gone too far. Many who were once apathetic about abortion, or vaguely pro-choice, gave their beliefs serious consideration for the first time.

Ms. Shvarts has been widely criticized for trivializing the emotional pain of miscarriage and abortion and this concern is undoubtedly valid. But she did succeed in making people think – and that is what art is all about.

– Kelsey Hazzard

Sophomore
UM Respect Life, President

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...