Is there a good slice?

I have just about completed my freshman year here at UM and I have nothing but positive remarks for the weather, people, athletics and, of course, the academics. And yes, I admit it; I am one of the few who thoroughly enjoys what Chartwells has to offer. Every week I use approximately 12-14 meals of my 14-meal plan. I do have one complaint though: Is there any good pizza in the 305 area?

My first option is the dining hall pizza, if you even want to call it pizza. The cheese is barely melted and the crust is usually nonexistent. I think I will pass. Frozen pizza from the vending machines in the dorms gives me the shivers, so I stroll over the UC and find Sbarro. An Italian restaurant that is a chain is usually not a good sign. Plus, paying more than $3 for a slice of pizza that barely has any tomato sauce on it is almost as ridiculous as Coach Frank Haith not winning the coach of the year in the ACC.

Since nothing on campus can satisfy me, I have to venture off campus and come across Miami’s Best Pizza. If that is Miami’s BEST pizza, I would like to know what Miami’s worst is. Gables Riviera right next door is too doughy. Casola’s is decent but it is far away and delivery takes over an hour. By the time it gets delivered to your dorm room it is all soggy and greasy. Domino’s is always an option, but again the previously mentioned pizza chain idea does not appeal to me. Plus, for some reason, whenever I order the 5-5-5 deal the bill always seems to be $23 after tax and tip. Go figure.

Call me critical or call me a New Yorker. I love the University of Miami and the shops and restaurants that Coral Gables has to offer, but I am a New Yorker in dire need of a good slice of pizza. A “pie,” as we New Yorkers like to call it. I am looking for that hole-in-the-wall pizza parlor where it seems like the dirtier the oven, the better the pizza.

Justin Antweil is a freshman majoring in print journalism and economics. If you know of any good pizza restaurants, he may be contacted at j.antweil@umiami.edu.

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...