HEALTHY CANE: Green tea more than just a popular drink

Green tea has become the latest popular herbal remedy, but is it all that it is cracked up to be?

The herbal tea, which can be bought at the C-store from brands such as SoBe and Pom Tea, contains EGCG, or epigalocatechin gallate, which is an anti-oxidant. EGCG has the ability to hinder the growth of cancer cells and kill them without harming healthy tissue. The antioxidant also combats the unhealthy LDL cholesterol.

In addition, green tea can help control diet when combined with caffeine, according to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. The journal published a study that shows the combination of caffeine and green tea extract has the ability to burn more calories than caffeine alone. The only side effect is sleeplessness.

Green tea also has the ability to help prevent tooth decay by killing bacteria in the mouth, and it can support healthy skin. The antioxidant in green tea binds to the tissue, destroying free radicals, and controls the free radicals to limit cell death and carcinogenic formation. Green tea skin creams have been proven to lessen the signs of aging by causing firmer skin and reducing wrinkles. The herbal remedy can also increase the effectiveness of sunscreen by protecting against photo-aging and photo-damage.

In addition to liquid forms, green tea extract can also be found in vitamin supplements, which can ensure that a specific amount is taken on a daily basis.

Ashleyann Gosselin may be contacted at a.gosselin@umiami.edu.

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...