HEALTHY CANE: Green tea more than just a popular drink

Green tea has become the latest popular herbal remedy, but is it all that it is cracked up to be?

The herbal tea, which can be bought at the C-store from brands such as SoBe and Pom Tea, contains EGCG, or epigalocatechin gallate, which is an anti-oxidant. EGCG has the ability to hinder the growth of cancer cells and kill them without harming healthy tissue. The antioxidant also combats the unhealthy LDL cholesterol.

In addition, green tea can help control diet when combined with caffeine, according to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. The journal published a study that shows the combination of caffeine and green tea extract has the ability to burn more calories than caffeine alone. The only side effect is sleeplessness.

Green tea also has the ability to help prevent tooth decay by killing bacteria in the mouth, and it can support healthy skin. The antioxidant in green tea binds to the tissue, destroying free radicals, and controls the free radicals to limit cell death and carcinogenic formation. Green tea skin creams have been proven to lessen the signs of aging by causing firmer skin and reducing wrinkles. The herbal remedy can also increase the effectiveness of sunscreen by protecting against photo-aging and photo-damage.

In addition to liquid forms, green tea extract can also be found in vitamin supplements, which can ensure that a specific amount is taken on a daily basis.

Ashleyann Gosselin may be contacted at a.gosselin@umiami.edu.

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...