Football busing plan concerns students

On the day of a Canes football game, students may be lathering on body paint, pre-gaming and planning to tailgate, but few want to worry about transportation.

Instead of catching the Metrorail, students will ride chartered American Coach buses that will leave Stanford Circle about three hours before home games. The buses will be monitored by either staff or students – the university still has not decided.

In order to ride the shuttles, students will be required to obtain stickers from the University Center’s first floor desk to place on their Cane Card before each game. These stickers will be distributed 10 days before a game, but distribution will stop two days prior, which means students cannot wait until the day before to pick up stickers.

The Division of Student Affairs released a survey to determine the number of students who would use the transportation.

Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia A. Whitely said the university plans to have about 20 buses for low attendance games and at least 50 buses for more popular games.

The number of buses will not be capped, Whitely said, so there can be more for popular games, such as against FSU. The buses will stay in the BankUnited Center parking lot the night before to limit delays on game day.

“This is a challenge, and you also have to remember that the freshmen are not going to have cars,” Whitely said. “Because of that, we’re going have to have more infrastructure to make sure this is smooth and make sure that it works.”

Despite the university’s plan, some students are worried. Elaine Fenna, a junior, has reservations about the new primary mode of transportation to the games.

“There is the potential for the situation to become as chaotic as if the students had rushed the field on the last game in the Orange Bowl,” she said. “Everyone will complain about it for a few weeks until they realize that it is just a situation everyone will have to deal with.”

Still, Daniel Poterek, a law student, trusts the university’s capacity to run the operations smoothly.

“Sure, the ride to the stadium will be longer, but that gives you more time to bond with fellow students and energize that Hurricane spirit,” he said.

Though plans are incomplete, the university does plan on updating the student body over the summer and during orientation about the new changes.

Ramon Galiana may be contacted at r.galiana@umiami.edu.

Football Parking Passes

Be there for the new era in Hurricanes football at Dolphin Stadium

Football season is just around the corner! Be there as your Hurricanes kick off a new era in Miami Hurricanes football at Dolphin Stadium. Don’t miss a play as the Hurricanes host Charleston Southern, Central Florida and ACC opponents North Carolina, Wake Forest Virginia Tech and rival Florida State this season.

Parking passes for next year will be going on sale to UM students at the Hurricane Ticket Office in the Hecht Athletic Center from April 21 to 25, office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...