Don’t reject aging, embrace it!

My mother found her first gray hair at 27. Granted, by the time my mother was 27, she had two young children, but still, I would be pretty ticked if I were going gray before 30. I’m not sure why I would be upset about it, because there’s really nothing wrong with gray hair. (George Clooney rocks it.) Society has taught me to try and ward off the signs of aging no matter what the price. But why? What is wrong with aging?

Some people will go to extremes to avoid aging, and I mean some serious extremes – face-lifts, Botox, implants. The other day I saw a woman on Lincoln Road who had all of the above and more done to her body and she looked horrible. I’m sure she would have been a cute old lady if she would just have let herself age gracefully. Some of the most beautiful women I have seen are older and embrace it.

And that’s precisely what I plan to do. I know I’m still 22 and I plan on looking hot for the next 20 years (make that 30), but when my first gray hair pops up or when my skin starts losing its young, vibrant look, the last thing I will do is go under the knife. With my luck, they’d all be botched procedures anyway, but I don’t see why I need to spend my time and money trying to make myself look young.

Older people have a sense of experience and wisdom to them. I’m looking forward to people assuming I’m intelligent just because I’m old, instead of assuming I’m naive and inexperienced just because I’m young.

Age gracefully, people. Let your hair turn gray. Let your wrinkles and laugh lines give you character. Look forward to the day when you stop getting carded at bars and you can take advantage of the senior citizen discount at restaurants.

Age only has to be apparent on the outside. You are as young as you feel. My dad has a third-degree black belt and goes biking. My mom tap dances. My 67-year-old grandmother climbed a rock wall not too long ago. The day they look in the mirror and say, “I’m old” is the day they will be old and lose their inner youth.

Aging is not a disease. It’s a blessing. Every day we grow older is a new day to meet new people, learn something new and have new adventures. Our college days may seem like the best days of our lives, but this is nothing. We have a couple more decades in us, at least. Make it worthwhile instead of worrying about how you appear on the outside.

Ashley Davidson is a senior majoring in journalism and studio art. She may be contacted at a.davidson2@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...