Chase ends on campus

A car chase through South Miami between police and two suspected car thieves ended near the Serpentine parking lot on campus last Sunday.

The two subjects suspected of committing an armed car-jacking in South Miami attempted to flee authorities by going through the University of Miami’s Coral Gables Campus, police said.

They were detained by Coral Gables police officers in the afternoon, shortly after the car was spotted driving south on Dixie Highway near Douglas Road, said Maj. Michael Mills of the South Miami Police Department.

The car was stolen near the 6000 block of Southwest 69th Street, about four blocks northwest of Sunset Place, at approximately 4 a.m. Sunday. The female victim was held at gunpoint by an undisclosed number of subjects.

Coral Gables police officers eventually stopped the stolen car at Ponce De Leon Boulevard and George E. Merrick Drive, the university’s entrance between the Grosvenor Apartment Building 23 and the Serpentine lot.

All subjects in the car fled but were soon apprehended by Coral Gables police officers.

A short time later, the victim arrived at the scene and identified two out of the three suspects.

University police said one subject had made it to campus before being caught by police.

UMPD Officer Richard Naue, the acting supervisor at the time, said he was at the scene of the chase, but declined to comment further on the incident.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs may be contacted at chelsea@miami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...