Chase ends on campus

A car chase through South Miami between police and two suspected car thieves ended near the Serpentine parking lot on campus last Sunday.

The two subjects suspected of committing an armed car-jacking in South Miami attempted to flee authorities by going through the University of Miami’s Coral Gables Campus, police said.

They were detained by Coral Gables police officers in the afternoon, shortly after the car was spotted driving south on Dixie Highway near Douglas Road, said Maj. Michael Mills of the South Miami Police Department.

The car was stolen near the 6000 block of Southwest 69th Street, about four blocks northwest of Sunset Place, at approximately 4 a.m. Sunday. The female victim was held at gunpoint by an undisclosed number of subjects.

Coral Gables police officers eventually stopped the stolen car at Ponce De Leon Boulevard and George E. Merrick Drive, the university’s entrance between the Grosvenor Apartment Building 23 and the Serpentine lot.

All subjects in the car fled but were soon apprehended by Coral Gables police officers.

A short time later, the victim arrived at the scene and identified two out of the three suspects.

University police said one subject had made it to campus before being caught by police.

UMPD Officer Richard Naue, the acting supervisor at the time, said he was at the scene of the chase, but declined to comment further on the incident.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs may be contacted at chelsea@miami.edu.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...