Chase ends on campus

A car chase through South Miami between police and two suspected car thieves ended near the Serpentine parking lot on campus last Sunday.

The two subjects suspected of committing an armed car-jacking in South Miami attempted to flee authorities by going through the University of Miami’s Coral Gables Campus, police said.

They were detained by Coral Gables police officers in the afternoon, shortly after the car was spotted driving south on Dixie Highway near Douglas Road, said Maj. Michael Mills of the South Miami Police Department.

The car was stolen near the 6000 block of Southwest 69th Street, about four blocks northwest of Sunset Place, at approximately 4 a.m. Sunday. The female victim was held at gunpoint by an undisclosed number of subjects.

Coral Gables police officers eventually stopped the stolen car at Ponce De Leon Boulevard and George E. Merrick Drive, the university’s entrance between the Grosvenor Apartment Building 23 and the Serpentine lot.

All subjects in the car fled but were soon apprehended by Coral Gables police officers.

A short time later, the victim arrived at the scene and identified two out of the three suspects.

University police said one subject had made it to campus before being caught by police.

UMPD Officer Richard Naue, the acting supervisor at the time, said he was at the scene of the chase, but declined to comment further on the incident.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs may be contacted at chelsea@miami.edu.

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...