Vending machines cause frustration

Students say it is inconvenient that only some vending machines take Cane Express credit and none take dining dollars.

“When I’m in my dorm and I’m thirsty or hungry I don’t want to have to walk forever to get something,” Mike Diaz, a sophomore, said.

Mel Tenen, assistant vice president for Dining and Vending Services, said Cane Express readers aren’t on every machine because they are expensive.

“We strategically place them where there are a lot of students,” Tenen said. “We place them where it makes the most sense to place them.”

Tenen said the university does an annual analysis based on sales in order to determine the most frequently used vending machines so they can eventually add readers to them.

Besides a lack of vending machine card readers, students also complain of limited food choices and broken machines.

Damara Hawley, a sophomore, said that whenever she finds the machine with the food she likes, it either doesn’t take a Cane Card or doesn’t work.

“It’s really annoying and frustrating, because even the ones that have the readers say, ‘no Cane Cards,'” Hawley said. “I went to the vending machines by the [Learning Center] and none of them were working.”

Hawley said it’s “extremely inconvenient,” adding that most students have a Cane Card at hand, but not every student carries cash.

Currently there are no vending machines that accept dining dollars.

“It’s unfair because most people have dining dollars and would use it for those machines,” Alex Marmorato, a sophomore, said. “If the machines took dining dollars, students wouldn’t have to walk all the way to the C-store to get something.”

Tenen said the machines will never take dining dollars because they aren’t part of the same program as vending services. He said dining dollars are intended to be used for food and dining services.

Laura Funk may be contacted at l.funk@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...