Vending machines cause frustration

Students say it is inconvenient that only some vending machines take Cane Express credit and none take dining dollars.

“When I’m in my dorm and I’m thirsty or hungry I don’t want to have to walk forever to get something,” Mike Diaz, a sophomore, said.

Mel Tenen, assistant vice president for Dining and Vending Services, said Cane Express readers aren’t on every machine because they are expensive.

“We strategically place them where there are a lot of students,” Tenen said. “We place them where it makes the most sense to place them.”

Tenen said the university does an annual analysis based on sales in order to determine the most frequently used vending machines so they can eventually add readers to them.

Besides a lack of vending machine card readers, students also complain of limited food choices and broken machines.

Damara Hawley, a sophomore, said that whenever she finds the machine with the food she likes, it either doesn’t take a Cane Card or doesn’t work.

“It’s really annoying and frustrating, because even the ones that have the readers say, ‘no Cane Cards,'” Hawley said. “I went to the vending machines by the [Learning Center] and none of them were working.”

Hawley said it’s “extremely inconvenient,” adding that most students have a Cane Card at hand, but not every student carries cash.

Currently there are no vending machines that accept dining dollars.

“It’s unfair because most people have dining dollars and would use it for those machines,” Alex Marmorato, a sophomore, said. “If the machines took dining dollars, students wouldn’t have to walk all the way to the C-store to get something.”

Tenen said the machines will never take dining dollars because they aren’t part of the same program as vending services. He said dining dollars are intended to be used for food and dining services.

Laura Funk may be contacted at l.funk@umiami.edu.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...