Vending machines cause frustration

Students say it is inconvenient that only some vending machines take Cane Express credit and none take dining dollars.

“When I’m in my dorm and I’m thirsty or hungry I don’t want to have to walk forever to get something,” Mike Diaz, a sophomore, said.

Mel Tenen, assistant vice president for Dining and Vending Services, said Cane Express readers aren’t on every machine because they are expensive.

“We strategically place them where there are a lot of students,” Tenen said. “We place them where it makes the most sense to place them.”

Tenen said the university does an annual analysis based on sales in order to determine the most frequently used vending machines so they can eventually add readers to them.

Besides a lack of vending machine card readers, students also complain of limited food choices and broken machines.

Damara Hawley, a sophomore, said that whenever she finds the machine with the food she likes, it either doesn’t take a Cane Card or doesn’t work.

“It’s really annoying and frustrating, because even the ones that have the readers say, ‘no Cane Cards,'” Hawley said. “I went to the vending machines by the [Learning Center] and none of them were working.”

Hawley said it’s “extremely inconvenient,” adding that most students have a Cane Card at hand, but not every student carries cash.

Currently there are no vending machines that accept dining dollars.

“It’s unfair because most people have dining dollars and would use it for those machines,” Alex Marmorato, a sophomore, said. “If the machines took dining dollars, students wouldn’t have to walk all the way to the C-store to get something.”

Tenen said the machines will never take dining dollars because they aren’t part of the same program as vending services. He said dining dollars are intended to be used for food and dining services.

Laura Funk may be contacted at l.funk@umiami.edu.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...