SPORTS BRIEFS

ROWING
Hurricanes earn fifth at ACC championships

The University of Miami rowing team finished in fifth place at the Atlantic Coast Conference championship on Lake Hartwell in Clemson, S.C. The Hurricanes’ First Varsity Eight crew, First Varsity Four crew and Novice Eight crew all finished in fourth place in their respective events, while the Hurricanes’ Second Varsity Eight crew finished sixth.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL
Banquet honors team

With the 2007-08 season officially behind them, the University of Miami women’s basketball program celebrated their accomplishments in the past season with a banquet at Monty’s Raw Bar in Coconut Grove.

Maurita Reid was honored as the team’s Most Intense Player, Most Valuable Player and for rebounding. Latoya Cunningham received the Strongest Player and coach’s awards and was honored as team captain and for assists. Academic honors went to Epiphany Woodson, while the Windex award went to Lamese James. Carla James earned honors as the Most Intense Practice Player, and Diane Barnes and Damisha Moore won honors for being the most improved players.

Compiled by Pravin Patel from HurricaneSports.com.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...