GOLF: Two Canes place in top 25

Freshman Christina Hirano led the Miami contingent at the 20th annual ACC women’s golf championship, tying for 15th at the Legends Course of LPGA International.

Senior Jessica Steward finished tied for 25th with another strong score of 76 to total 232 strokes (80-76-76). Freshman Maria Ronderos tied for 33th after posting an 83 to end at 18-over-par, while senior Hagen Weintraub posted an 84 to sit at 39th. Freshman Brooke Stuart shot her best round of golf to finish 45th with an 87.

As a team, the Hurricanes combined for 933 strokes, which was good enough for eighth out of nine teams. Top-ranked Duke, meanwhile, earned its 13th straight ACC title at 871 strokes, led by junior Amanda Blumenherst, who claimed her third-straight ACC title. Florida State junior Caroline Westrup lost by a stroke when she bogeyed on the final hole.

For the Canes, Hirano shot a one-over-par 76 to fall in a tie for 14th place with a total of 149 strokes heading into the final round Sunday. Ronderos shot a 77 to tie for 19th while Steward moved up to 28th by shooting a 76. Weintraub fell all the way to 37th after firing an 86 a day after shooting into the top 25.

After round one, Hirano and Weintraub were tied for eighth place with a one-over-par 73 as the Hurricanes were in sixth place at 300 strokes. Ronderos finished tied for 11th at two-over-par 74 to round up Miami’s representation in the top 20.

Virginia took an early lead with a four-under-par 284 led by Joy Kim’s three-under-par 69. She had four birdies with the next closest team, Duke, 10 strokes back. Second and third place were occupied by Cavaliers golfers as well.

Steward was tied for 39th and freshman Brooke Stuart at 45th.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

The first debates of the Democratic presidential primary season will take place over two nights. How ...

Doctoral student Maria del Rosario Concha Mendez is spending the summer researching materials in the ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that led her to sign up w ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Emese Hof and Samantha Gonzalez, are among the record 585 nomin ...

Chris McMahon was selected to participate in the 2019 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team training ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...