GOLF: Two Canes place in top 25

Freshman Christina Hirano led the Miami contingent at the 20th annual ACC women’s golf championship, tying for 15th at the Legends Course of LPGA International.

Senior Jessica Steward finished tied for 25th with another strong score of 76 to total 232 strokes (80-76-76). Freshman Maria Ronderos tied for 33th after posting an 83 to end at 18-over-par, while senior Hagen Weintraub posted an 84 to sit at 39th. Freshman Brooke Stuart shot her best round of golf to finish 45th with an 87.

As a team, the Hurricanes combined for 933 strokes, which was good enough for eighth out of nine teams. Top-ranked Duke, meanwhile, earned its 13th straight ACC title at 871 strokes, led by junior Amanda Blumenherst, who claimed her third-straight ACC title. Florida State junior Caroline Westrup lost by a stroke when she bogeyed on the final hole.

For the Canes, Hirano shot a one-over-par 76 to fall in a tie for 14th place with a total of 149 strokes heading into the final round Sunday. Ronderos shot a 77 to tie for 19th while Steward moved up to 28th by shooting a 76. Weintraub fell all the way to 37th after firing an 86 a day after shooting into the top 25.

After round one, Hirano and Weintraub were tied for eighth place with a one-over-par 73 as the Hurricanes were in sixth place at 300 strokes. Ronderos finished tied for 11th at two-over-par 74 to round up Miami’s representation in the top 20.

Virginia took an early lead with a four-under-par 284 led by Joy Kim’s three-under-par 69. She had four birdies with the next closest team, Duke, 10 strokes back. Second and third place were occupied by Cavaliers golfers as well.

Steward was tied for 39th and freshman Brooke Stuart at 45th.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...