Diversity a selling point for exchange students

When junior Yejin Dong arrived at the University of Miami in the middle of the summer, she hated the heat and had trouble adjusting to it. But now that it’s time for her to return to her native country of South Korea, she said she doesn’t want to leave.

“I am half excited and half sad [to leave Miami],” Dong said. “I am excited to see my family and friends [in Korea], and at the same time I am sad to leave Miami and my friends here.”

Dong is one of the 137 exchange students at UM this semester planning to return to their home countries in May. The students represent four continents: Europe, Australia, Latin America and Asia.

Most of the exchange students said that diversity was one of the most enjoyable aspects of their UM experience.

“Hanging out with people from different countries every single night is the best,” said Rajeev Valabjee, a senior and business student from Australia.

Glenda Hayley, director of the International Education and Exchange program, said learning about different cultures is typically one of the main reasons students go abroad.

“They all have opportunities to meet people at class and dorms,” Hayley said.

American students who attend UM also benefit from the international influence on campus.

Devon Gangi, a sophomore from Florida, said that she was able to learn about foreign culture through her roommate, who is an exchange student from Korea.

“I think it’s very interesting to know about people from different cultures and get other people’s perspectives,” Gangi said.

But some exchange students said it was difficult to form close bonds with local students because of pre-existing social cliques at UM.

“International students are kind of segregated from the beginning,” said Jamie Stevenson, a junior and exchange student from England. “At orientation, the Americans go one way and the internationals go another.”

Other universities, such as Carleton University in Canada, pair international students with local students through buddy programs. These programs are meant to provide exchange students with a support system in their new environment, helping them to adjust more easily.

“We have similar programs in Korea, too,” Dong said. “I used to meet exchange students from other countries and bring them to different cultural activities.”

Dong said it would be better to have more opportunities to get involved in local communities and cultural activities. “[UM] provides a lot of activity, but I wish [foreign exchange students]could have more chances to get real American culture.”

The Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO), the primary organizer of activities for international students, advises exchange students to get involved.

“As organizations, we are doing as much as we can,” Samit Shah, a senior and president of COISO, said. “But [exchange]students must take advantage of every organization.”

Next semester, at least 157 exchange students will be coming to UM to study.

Fiona Kim may be contacted at h.kim18@umiami.edu.

Anthony Minerva may be contacted at a.minerva@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...