Canes Carnival takes over the Green

With funnel cakes dressed in sugar, inflatable rides and long lines of anxious guests, the second annual Canes Carnival had all the makings of a successful event. Sponsored by Canes Night Live, hundreds of guests filled the UC Green to eat, play and enjoy the five-hour festivity.

Canes Carnival was part of the school’s programming budget, a response to students’ requests for more on-campus events, said Christina Farmer, a CNL general body member and the fall 2008 on-campus liaison.

Those who attended not only received a free meal but also enjoyed the perks of a classic carnival. Giveaways were also offered at co-sponsors tables: A Week for Life, FEC, AASA, Best Buddies, Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Gamma, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Zeta Tau Alpha and Delta Delta Delta were all present.

Although the event was student-run and school-sponsored, children and parents from the surrounding community were welcomed to join in on the festivities. In order to participate in some of the games, guests had to sign a liability waiver.

Games included an obstacle course, big-glove boxing and a 26-foot rock-climbing mountain. Children too young to participate in the games instead enjoyed face painting and balloon art of swords, hats and Minnie Mouse.

Starting at 9 p.m., DJ Phonix replaced the traditional carnival music and spun tracks while a handful of visitors jammed to the tunes. Others opted to take advantage of the free services.

Margaret Schatzel, a sophomore, exchanged her typical dining hall dinner for a carnival style funnel cake. “I waited 45 minutes for this funnel cake,” she said about the line. “It would have been nice if it was bigger, but it was worth it.”

For those unwilling to wait in the long lines for funnel cake, hotdog, cotton candy, pretzels and pizza, there was a midnight breakfast catered by IHOP directly after the carnival’s close.

As for Farmer, the event was more than just a free dinner on a Friday night.

“Since freshman won’t be able to have cars next year, I want to be able to take them to on-campus events like this one,” she said.

Jenny Presser-Kroll may be contacted at j.presserkroll@umiami.edu and Jillian Moran may be contacted at j.moran1@umiami.edu.

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...