Canes Carnival takes over the Green

With funnel cakes dressed in sugar, inflatable rides and long lines of anxious guests, the second annual Canes Carnival had all the makings of a successful event. Sponsored by Canes Night Live, hundreds of guests filled the UC Green to eat, play and enjoy the five-hour festivity.

Canes Carnival was part of the school’s programming budget, a response to students’ requests for more on-campus events, said Christina Farmer, a CNL general body member and the fall 2008 on-campus liaison.

Those who attended not only received a free meal but also enjoyed the perks of a classic carnival. Giveaways were also offered at co-sponsors tables: A Week for Life, FEC, AASA, Best Buddies, Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Gamma, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Zeta Tau Alpha and Delta Delta Delta were all present.

Although the event was student-run and school-sponsored, children and parents from the surrounding community were welcomed to join in on the festivities. In order to participate in some of the games, guests had to sign a liability waiver.

Games included an obstacle course, big-glove boxing and a 26-foot rock-climbing mountain. Children too young to participate in the games instead enjoyed face painting and balloon art of swords, hats and Minnie Mouse.

Starting at 9 p.m., DJ Phonix replaced the traditional carnival music and spun tracks while a handful of visitors jammed to the tunes. Others opted to take advantage of the free services.

Margaret Schatzel, a sophomore, exchanged her typical dining hall dinner for a carnival style funnel cake. “I waited 45 minutes for this funnel cake,” she said about the line. “It would have been nice if it was bigger, but it was worth it.”

For those unwilling to wait in the long lines for funnel cake, hotdog, cotton candy, pretzels and pizza, there was a midnight breakfast catered by IHOP directly after the carnival’s close.

As for Farmer, the event was more than just a free dinner on a Friday night.

“Since freshman won’t be able to have cars next year, I want to be able to take them to on-campus events like this one,” she said.

Jenny Presser-Kroll may be contacted at j.presserkroll@umiami.edu and Jillian Moran may be contacted at j.moran1@umiami.edu.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...