BASEBALL (Update): Post-game confrontation mars last meeting of Miami-Florida State series

UPDATED APRIL 23 AT 1:53 A.M.

POSTED APRIL 22 AT 1:34 A.M.

The most memorable action from this weekend’s top-ranked matchup between Miami and Florida State may have taken place after the final pitch.

Trouble began almost immediately after the game concluded, said Justin Sheinis, a junior and broadcaster for WVUM who was at the game. Miami was celebrating, doing jumping jacks and throwing up “The U” hand signal.

Miami lined up waiting for Florida State to come out to shake hands, as is tradition after the completion of a three-game series in college baseball. However, the Seminoles did not come out of the dugout. Miami returned to its celebration, which provoked Florida State to leave its dugout seeking a confrontation. The teams had to be separated by coaches and security.

As Miami returned to its dugout, approximately 40 Florida State fans leaned over a protective netting above the dugout and began throwing drinks and spitting on the Hurricanes.

Instead of having its traditional post-game meeting and sprints, Miami was forced to retreat to its team bus and drive away, most likely preventing Florida State fans from crowding around the bus.

Police escorted the remaining Seminole fans out of Dick Howser Stadium.

Due to the timing of this post, The Miami Hurricane was not able to get in touch with either team for comment. We plan to follow up in this Thursday’s issue.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

To read a recap of this weekend’s series, click here.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...