Student jogger assaulted Friday on Pisano Avenue

UPDATE POSTED APRIL 25 AT 2:09 P.M.

UM student fabricated jogging assault

MAP POSTED APRIL 19 AT 10:08 P.M.

Campus Crime Map (not comprehensive)

View Larger Map

STORY POSTED APRIL 19 AT 3:50 P.M.

A female student was assaulted while jogging by the bridge at the 1000 block of Pisano Avenue — near Doctors Hospital and the School of Communication parking lot — at approximately 7:45 p.m. Friday, according to an e-mail crime alert sent early Saturday afternoon.

The attacker was carrying a 4-inch folding pocket knife, which he used to rob the victim of her jewelry, University of Miami Police said in the message.

The alert also said the following:

After being threatened with the knife, the victim attempted to defend herself and screamed for help. During the struggle, the attacker “was startled and fled the scene.”

The attacker is described as a black male, age 25 to 30, weighing 190 to 200 pounds and wearing a white tank top and dark shorts.

“UMPD will increase its own police and security patrols around the area,” the alert said.

“The police report is not completed and an investigator as not yet been assigned to the case,” Mara Vasquez, a communications operator at Coral Gables Police Department, told The Miami Hurricane Saturday afternoon.

In response to the incident, the second of the semester, the e-mail alert said:

“The University Police Department recommends students and staff utilize more heavily traveled areas of campus instead of the unpopulated outer perimeter areas for exercise and other leisure activities. Always buddy up while utilizing off campus areas to jog, if you can’t get a buddy, avoid the area and stay on campus.”

Another female student was assaulted on Feb. 2 while jogging along the 5300 block of Carillo Street, part of a popular running route known as the “loop.” Read more about that incident here.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs may be contacted at chelsea@miami.edu

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...