Student jogger assaulted Friday on Pisano Avenue

UPDATE POSTED APRIL 25 AT 2:09 P.M.

UM student fabricated jogging assault

MAP POSTED APRIL 19 AT 10:08 P.M.

Campus Crime Map (not comprehensive)

View Larger Map

STORY POSTED APRIL 19 AT 3:50 P.M.

A female student was assaulted while jogging by the bridge at the 1000 block of Pisano Avenue — near Doctors Hospital and the School of Communication parking lot — at approximately 7:45 p.m. Friday, according to an e-mail crime alert sent early Saturday afternoon.

The attacker was carrying a 4-inch folding pocket knife, which he used to rob the victim of her jewelry, University of Miami Police said in the message.

The alert also said the following:

After being threatened with the knife, the victim attempted to defend herself and screamed for help. During the struggle, the attacker “was startled and fled the scene.”

The attacker is described as a black male, age 25 to 30, weighing 190 to 200 pounds and wearing a white tank top and dark shorts.

“UMPD will increase its own police and security patrols around the area,” the alert said.

“The police report is not completed and an investigator as not yet been assigned to the case,” Mara Vasquez, a communications operator at Coral Gables Police Department, told The Miami Hurricane Saturday afternoon.

In response to the incident, the second of the semester, the e-mail alert said:

“The University Police Department recommends students and staff utilize more heavily traveled areas of campus instead of the unpopulated outer perimeter areas for exercise and other leisure activities. Always buddy up while utilizing off campus areas to jog, if you can’t get a buddy, avoid the area and stay on campus.”

Another female student was assaulted on Feb. 2 while jogging along the 5300 block of Carillo Street, part of a popular running route known as the “loop.” Read more about that incident here.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs may be contacted at chelsea@miami.edu

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...