Step up to the romantic standards you set for boyfriend

V,

I have been dating this guy for two years come Friday. He started out romantic but began to slacken up the past few months. In November, I told him to step up and return to his old ways. Recently, he told me that he bought tickets for us to see an opera (I love operas!) at 6 p.m. on Friday for our two-year anniversary. This is great because I miss this side of him; however, I was planning on attending the Canes Carnival that night and then celebrating our anniversary later. This carnival only comes once a year and I’m not really in an opera “mood” now. What should I do?

-Stuck Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Dear Stuck,

As you are well aware, the need for romance doesn’t just disappear after a couple years of dating. It’s definitely something that if you need it, you need it. I mean, a girl needs to be treated like the princess she is!

You were right in kindly reminding your boyfriend of this need, as I am sure he is just as happy to partake in the fun of romance as you are! Just remember that romance isn’t about getting everything your way; he’s in this relationship too.

The fact that he remembered your love of opera and had the foresight to buy the tickets in anticipation of your anniversary shows something. Don’t shoot down his attempts to romance because you could come off as selfish and send mixed messages. (You did have a specific talk with him about “stepping it up”). And you don’t want to go there.

After all, you love the opera and you care about your boyfriend and your anniversary! What’s not to enjoy about these plans? Sure, the Canes Carnival only comes once a year, but do you really want to hurt your boyfriend over it? If you feel really strongly about it, tell you boyfriend ASAP. Maybe there is some kind of compromise you can strike – opera first, Canes Carnival after?

Best of luck!

Fact o’ the Day: Studies show that men change their minds two to three times more often than do women.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com. Do it! All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...

Early voting in Florida began this week and will last through Nov. 1. Here’s a rundown of everything students need to know about upcoming campus events, from the final debate watch party to transportation to the polls. ...