Recognition comes with restrictions

Though the whole month of April is student-employee appreciation month, our university chooses to confine the “festivities” to just this week of April. As a result, one would think that this would be a week jam-packed with special perks and events for our enjoyment.

Think again.

As student employees, we know all too well the difficulty of being perfect in the classroom and the workplace. It’s not an easy task, but we’ve stepped up to the plate. Why? Well in hopes of getting free food and goodies this week, of course!

Unfortunately, the good intentions of this week don’t reach their full potential because of their inconvenient methods of distribution. For those who were worthy of the appreciative measures (we, for one, were apparently not), few were able to take advantage of them.

For instance, Wellness Center employees were given gratis five-minute backrubs and smoothies. but only at certain, obscure hours and with various bureaucratic restrictions.

Other student employees were offered breakfast in the form of muffins from Chartwells – muffins that they could have shoved in their bags on their way to class.

Even worse is the free pizza being offered to students on. Friday night. Rest assured that no student employee who works and studies all week is going to spend their night grazing on free pies instead of drinking away their stresses and sorrows.

The sponsor of this month – The National Student Employment Association – should know better than anyone how hard student employees work and how pressed they are for time.

If they really wanted to extend their appreciation to student employees, they should work harder to accommodate us so that we don’t have to be inconvenienced in order to be recognized for all that we do.

This represents the majority opinion of
The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...