Plus/minus grade system not changing despite critics

After many months of research and discussion, Student Government and the Faculty Senate have decided not to adjust the current plus/minus grading system.

For years, students have expressed dissatisfaction with the way course grades are calculated into their cumulative grade point averages.

Currently, if a student receives an A+ or A, they are both counted as four points in the GPA. But critics question why an A+ grade doesn’t count for more, which is the way the plus/minus system is intended to operate.

Josh Weiss, a senior and a SG senator of the College of Arts and Sciences, said “we felt it was useless to have an A+ designation that didn’t mean anything.”

The Academic Affairs Committee of Student Government had been looking into options to “correct” the current status of the grading system. One proposal was to count an A+ as 4.3 points.

After researching other Atlantic Coast Conference schools that are most similar to the University of Miami, the Academic Affairs Committee compiled an extensive report and presented it to the Academic Standards Committee of the Faculty Senate.

The students’ report found that all ACC schools except for Maryland, Georgia Tech and N.C. State use the same plus/minus method as UM. The committee said that there is no reason to adjust the current grading system.

Student Government is also looking at other options that could help students going on to law, medical or graduate schools.

With the backing of Vice Provost and Undergraduate Dean William S. Green, student leaders say one possibility is for final transcripts to include a marking or other distinction that would recognize a student’s A+ work in a class.

Valerie Marks may be contacted at v.marks@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...