Plus/minus grade system not changing despite critics

After many months of research and discussion, Student Government and the Faculty Senate have decided not to adjust the current plus/minus grading system.

For years, students have expressed dissatisfaction with the way course grades are calculated into their cumulative grade point averages.

Currently, if a student receives an A+ or A, they are both counted as four points in the GPA. But critics question why an A+ grade doesn’t count for more, which is the way the plus/minus system is intended to operate.

Josh Weiss, a senior and a SG senator of the College of Arts and Sciences, said “we felt it was useless to have an A+ designation that didn’t mean anything.”

The Academic Affairs Committee of Student Government had been looking into options to “correct” the current status of the grading system. One proposal was to count an A+ as 4.3 points.

After researching other Atlantic Coast Conference schools that are most similar to the University of Miami, the Academic Affairs Committee compiled an extensive report and presented it to the Academic Standards Committee of the Faculty Senate.

The students’ report found that all ACC schools except for Maryland, Georgia Tech and N.C. State use the same plus/minus method as UM. The committee said that there is no reason to adjust the current grading system.

Student Government is also looking at other options that could help students going on to law, medical or graduate schools.

With the backing of Vice Provost and Undergraduate Dean William S. Green, student leaders say one possibility is for final transcripts to include a marking or other distinction that would recognize a student’s A+ work in a class.

Valerie Marks may be contacted at v.marks@umiami.edu.

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...