ORANGE BOWL: Stadium demolition under way

The Orange Bowl will not be going out with a bang. The former home of the University of Miami football team will not be blown up, as is often the fate of most landmark stadiums. Instead, it is in the process of being dismantled piece by piece.

The demolition, which began six weeks ago, is being carried out by a crew of 30 workers. According to UM Athletic Director Paul Dee, the city of Miami opted against an implosion of the venerable stadium due to the high costs and the process of acquiring zoning permits.

“They are not going to blow up the whole thing,” Dee said. “They are structurally dismantling it.”

On the north side of the stadium, the entire upper deck has been destroyed, and parts of both decks from the south side have been dismantled, according to Dee. Most of the press box has also been removed, but a small portion of it still stands.

Those students who had hopes of rushing the field following the disappointing football finale last November would now have no grass to even run on. The turf has been completely removed and was replanted at Miami’s Gibson Park, according to a report by The Miami Herald.

The majority of the orange seats, some of which were taken as UM fans left the historic stadium after the last game, have also been removed. These seats and other pieces of the stadium were sold to fund the demolition.

According to Dee, the demolition is expected to be completed by August. The county has approved a plan to build a new major league baseball park for the Florida Marlins in the location, although the proposal is in the midst of legal battles. A soccer stadium is also being considered for the location for a future Major League Soccer franchise. Some have proposed calling that new stadium the “Orange Bowl.”

Despite the sadness felt by many citizens around the Miami area, some of UM’s important items have been preserved. According to The Herald, the Ring of Honor, which was displayed on the fa

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...