ORANGE BOWL: Stadium demolition under way

The Orange Bowl will not be going out with a bang. The former home of the University of Miami football team will not be blown up, as is often the fate of most landmark stadiums. Instead, it is in the process of being dismantled piece by piece.

The demolition, which began six weeks ago, is being carried out by a crew of 30 workers. According to UM Athletic Director Paul Dee, the city of Miami opted against an implosion of the venerable stadium due to the high costs and the process of acquiring zoning permits.

“They are not going to blow up the whole thing,” Dee said. “They are structurally dismantling it.”

On the north side of the stadium, the entire upper deck has been destroyed, and parts of both decks from the south side have been dismantled, according to Dee. Most of the press box has also been removed, but a small portion of it still stands.

Those students who had hopes of rushing the field following the disappointing football finale last November would now have no grass to even run on. The turf has been completely removed and was replanted at Miami’s Gibson Park, according to a report by The Miami Herald.

The majority of the orange seats, some of which were taken as UM fans left the historic stadium after the last game, have also been removed. These seats and other pieces of the stadium were sold to fund the demolition.

According to Dee, the demolition is expected to be completed by August. The county has approved a plan to build a new major league baseball park for the Florida Marlins in the location, although the proposal is in the midst of legal battles. A soccer stadium is also being considered for the location for a future Major League Soccer franchise. Some have proposed calling that new stadium the “Orange Bowl.”

Despite the sadness felt by many citizens around the Miami area, some of UM’s important items have been preserved. According to The Herald, the Ring of Honor, which was displayed on the fa

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...