ORANGE BOWL: Stadium demolition under way

The Orange Bowl will not be going out with a bang. The former home of the University of Miami football team will not be blown up, as is often the fate of most landmark stadiums. Instead, it is in the process of being dismantled piece by piece.

The demolition, which began six weeks ago, is being carried out by a crew of 30 workers. According to UM Athletic Director Paul Dee, the city of Miami opted against an implosion of the venerable stadium due to the high costs and the process of acquiring zoning permits.

“They are not going to blow up the whole thing,” Dee said. “They are structurally dismantling it.”

On the north side of the stadium, the entire upper deck has been destroyed, and parts of both decks from the south side have been dismantled, according to Dee. Most of the press box has also been removed, but a small portion of it still stands.

Those students who had hopes of rushing the field following the disappointing football finale last November would now have no grass to even run on. The turf has been completely removed and was replanted at Miami’s Gibson Park, according to a report by The Miami Herald.

The majority of the orange seats, some of which were taken as UM fans left the historic stadium after the last game, have also been removed. These seats and other pieces of the stadium were sold to fund the demolition.

According to Dee, the demolition is expected to be completed by August. The county has approved a plan to build a new major league baseball park for the Florida Marlins in the location, although the proposal is in the midst of legal battles. A soccer stadium is also being considered for the location for a future Major League Soccer franchise. Some have proposed calling that new stadium the “Orange Bowl.”

Despite the sadness felt by many citizens around the Miami area, some of UM’s important items have been preserved. According to The Herald, the Ring of Honor, which was displayed on the fa

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...