MedSchool Briefs

Talks of climate change and the effects on human health

Experts on climate change and human health presented their latest research Monday at the Miller School of Medicine’s Lois Pope LIFE center. The symposium was part of a series of ceremonies and events taking place around the country in recognition of World Health Day and National Public Health Week.

The main consensus of the symposium was that global climate change is already impacting human life. Rising temperatures and heavier rainfalls are providing fertile breeding grounds for mosquitoes that carry malaria, West Nile virus and numerous other pandemic diseases. Widespread deforestation in Latin America is also leading to an increased rate of malaria and dengue fever, along with other diseases. Experts agreed that there is a need for an increase in education about climate change and how it affects human survival.

Former Hurricane launches foundation

Kevin Everett, the former Miami Hurricane and NFL player who suffered a severe spinal cord injury during a game last season, stood tall last week to announce the launch of the Kevin Everett Foundation. Everett, who was told he would never walk again, thanked the Miami medical team whose cutting-edge research played a role in his recovery.

Everett was given a hypothermic treatment, which induced cold saline into his system, in order to significantly decrease damage to the spinal cord. Everett is dedicating his recently-launched foundation to supporting and advocating further research of spinal cord injuries.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...