MedSchool Briefs

Talks of climate change and the effects on human health

Experts on climate change and human health presented their latest research Monday at the Miller School of Medicine’s Lois Pope LIFE center. The symposium was part of a series of ceremonies and events taking place around the country in recognition of World Health Day and National Public Health Week.

The main consensus of the symposium was that global climate change is already impacting human life. Rising temperatures and heavier rainfalls are providing fertile breeding grounds for mosquitoes that carry malaria, West Nile virus and numerous other pandemic diseases. Widespread deforestation in Latin America is also leading to an increased rate of malaria and dengue fever, along with other diseases. Experts agreed that there is a need for an increase in education about climate change and how it affects human survival.

Former Hurricane launches foundation

Kevin Everett, the former Miami Hurricane and NFL player who suffered a severe spinal cord injury during a game last season, stood tall last week to announce the launch of the Kevin Everett Foundation. Everett, who was told he would never walk again, thanked the Miami medical team whose cutting-edge research played a role in his recovery.

Everett was given a hypothermic treatment, which induced cold saline into his system, in order to significantly decrease damage to the spinal cord. Everett is dedicating his recently-launched foundation to supporting and advocating further research of spinal cord injuries.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...