MedSchool Briefs

Talks of climate change and the effects on human health

Experts on climate change and human health presented their latest research Monday at the Miller School of Medicine’s Lois Pope LIFE center. The symposium was part of a series of ceremonies and events taking place around the country in recognition of World Health Day and National Public Health Week.

The main consensus of the symposium was that global climate change is already impacting human life. Rising temperatures and heavier rainfalls are providing fertile breeding grounds for mosquitoes that carry malaria, West Nile virus and numerous other pandemic diseases. Widespread deforestation in Latin America is also leading to an increased rate of malaria and dengue fever, along with other diseases. Experts agreed that there is a need for an increase in education about climate change and how it affects human survival.

Former Hurricane launches foundation

Kevin Everett, the former Miami Hurricane and NFL player who suffered a severe spinal cord injury during a game last season, stood tall last week to announce the launch of the Kevin Everett Foundation. Everett, who was told he would never walk again, thanked the Miami medical team whose cutting-edge research played a role in his recovery.

Everett was given a hypothermic treatment, which induced cold saline into his system, in order to significantly decrease damage to the spinal cord. Everett is dedicating his recently-launched foundation to supporting and advocating further research of spinal cord injuries.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...