Jason Segel makes ‘Forgetting Sarah Marshall’ tough to do

Knowing that Forgetting Sarah Marshall is a Judd Apatow film, one might expect just another typical romantic comedy that gets most of its laughs from sexual humor.

Although Forgetting Sarah Marshall fits that description, its heartfelt storyline develops it into something deeper. Setting it apart from Apatow’s similar works, including Knocked Up and The 40-Year-Old Virgin, this film was actually written by leading man Jason Segel, a recurring star in Apatow’s productions. His character Peter Bretter is a television composer for the show in which his (soon to be ex-) girlfriend Sarah Marshall stars.

The film starts out with Sarah dumping Peter after five years of dating. Utterly heartbroken, Peter thinks life as he knows it is over. Stepbrother Brian (Bill Hader from Saturday Night Live) suggests Peter get away for a while, and Peter chooses Hawaii, a place Sarah had always wanted to go. Big surprise, Peter ends up going to the same hotel Sarah and her new boyfriend are staying at, meaning Peter has to spend his vacation being tortured by seeing the couple together and inevitably running into them.

Hilarity ensues, but it isn’t all about witty jokes and ridiculous situations. It’s the timeless tale of being rejected by the person you thought was “the one,” only to realize later that they were not so perfect after all. Most people can relate, so Segel’s character really draws you in and makes you root for him.

One thing’s for sure: The movie’s winning combination of a heartwarming script as well as a talented cast – including Veronica Mars’ Kristin Bell and That 70’s Show’s Mila Kunis – and crew produced impressive results.

If you don’t mind the raunchiness of several full frontal nudity shots of Segel within the first 10 minutes, Forgetting Sarah Marshall is definitely worth seeing. You might not go quite so far as to agree with some critics who hail it as the “funniest film of the year,” but you can be certain that Segel’s first attempt as a screenwriter is anything but amateur. Perhaps Segel has found his true calling. Whether it’s on the screen or on the page, expect to see more of his work in the future.

Erin Butherus may be contacted at e.butherus@umiami.edu.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...