Jason Segel makes ‘Forgetting Sarah Marshall’ tough to do

Knowing that Forgetting Sarah Marshall is a Judd Apatow film, one might expect just another typical romantic comedy that gets most of its laughs from sexual humor.

Although Forgetting Sarah Marshall fits that description, its heartfelt storyline develops it into something deeper. Setting it apart from Apatow’s similar works, including Knocked Up and The 40-Year-Old Virgin, this film was actually written by leading man Jason Segel, a recurring star in Apatow’s productions. His character Peter Bretter is a television composer for the show in which his (soon to be ex-) girlfriend Sarah Marshall stars.

The film starts out with Sarah dumping Peter after five years of dating. Utterly heartbroken, Peter thinks life as he knows it is over. Stepbrother Brian (Bill Hader from Saturday Night Live) suggests Peter get away for a while, and Peter chooses Hawaii, a place Sarah had always wanted to go. Big surprise, Peter ends up going to the same hotel Sarah and her new boyfriend are staying at, meaning Peter has to spend his vacation being tortured by seeing the couple together and inevitably running into them.

Hilarity ensues, but it isn’t all about witty jokes and ridiculous situations. It’s the timeless tale of being rejected by the person you thought was “the one,” only to realize later that they were not so perfect after all. Most people can relate, so Segel’s character really draws you in and makes you root for him.

One thing’s for sure: The movie’s winning combination of a heartwarming script as well as a talented cast – including Veronica Mars’ Kristin Bell and That 70’s Show’s Mila Kunis – and crew produced impressive results.

If you don’t mind the raunchiness of several full frontal nudity shots of Segel within the first 10 minutes, Forgetting Sarah Marshall is definitely worth seeing. You might not go quite so far as to agree with some critics who hail it as the “funniest film of the year,” but you can be certain that Segel’s first attempt as a screenwriter is anything but amateur. Perhaps Segel has found his true calling. Whether it’s on the screen or on the page, expect to see more of his work in the future.

Erin Butherus may be contacted at e.butherus@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...