Frustrated drivers say parking tickets are unfair

With about 80 to 150 parking tickets distributed on a daily basis, University of Miami students said they are fed up with the university’s police department.

Alanna Buz, a sophomore, parked in one of the meters after 15 minutes of looking for parking with no luck. She said she returned to her car three minutes after the meter had expired and already had a $20 ticket.

“UMPD has no considerations with students,” she said. “We already pay enough for tuition and for the parking permit. The least they could do is have a little leniency when it comes to distributing parking tickets.”

Other students have said that they received a ticket in similar situations.

Camila Martin, a transfer student, is completing her second semester at UM. She said all of her friends have received a ticket since she’s been here.

“I think that it would be difficult to find a student in this school who has not received any parking tickets. I am on my third ticket. It is ridiculous,” she said. “At my previous university, FIU, I never faced a problem of this sort.”

Charges for parking tickets start at a minimum fee of $20. More severe violations may result in a towed vehicle and the removal of the students’ parking decal, which costs no less than $211 per semester.

Madeline Garcia, a junior, said UMPD does not consider that some cars don’t fit in the small parking spaces. She said she drives an SUV and the parking space divisions are too narrow.

“I got a ticket last Thursday for parking right above the white line that marks the parking space,” she said. “I was not even parked in the other person’s parking space and therefore I was not occupying two spaces at once.”

The Parking and Transportation Department said UMPD only distributes tickets when students have committed violations and never undeservingly. Officer Carlos Castillo said that he issues about five to seven tickets daily to students for parking violations.

“Students are always in a rush and they park carelessly,” he said. “They complain about our measures, but if we don’t look after the parking facilities then it would be chaotic.”

Coral Gables police officer Ivan Cabrera, asked while giving a ticket at Doctor’s Hospital, said that most tickets are issued to students who park in undesignated areas and don’t carry their decal.

The UM Police Department said that students can appeal tickets on myUM.

Juliet Chavib may be contacted at y.chavib@umiami.edu.

Sandra L. Redway, the Director of Business Services, said that about 80 to 150 tickets are issued daily.

Last year 8,466 tickets were appealed and 56 percent were granted.

Most parking violations were committed in the Allan Hall Whitten Learning Center lot (209), and that a possible solution is parking at the Ponce Garage and taking the shuttle.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...