COMMENTARY: Football shouldn’t define success

Apparently, what goes on between the uprights matters the most in determining a school’s athletic success.

Unfortunately for Canes fans, after the football team failed to earn a bowl bid for the first time in 10 years with a 5-7 record, the sports media and rival schools alike aren’t giving bragging rights to the University of Miami for the 2007-08 year.

It’s a shame, really. If everyone were to pay just a little more attention to the less popular sports, they’d find quite a few winners out there.

The baseball team, which has won four national championships since 1982, can’t even fill Mark Light Field despite its No. 1 ranking. With a lineup that boasts power and consistency, it seems the boys of summer score more in one weekend than the football team did all season.

This weekend the team faces its ultimate test: a three-game series in Tallahassee against the second-ranked Florida State Seminoles.

In another big-time college sport, the basketball team, led by junior Jack McClinton, exceeded expectations to make it to the second round of the NCAA tournament against second seed Texas. Even so, many games failed to sell out, a disappointment in the basketball-rich territory of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The women’s soccer team made it to the NCAA tournament for just the second time in the program’s short 10-year history. Did you know?

Freshman Brittney Steinbruch not only scored 16 goals and 35 points to earn the honor of ACC Freshman of the Year, but she was also invited to join the U.S. Under-20 team this spring, and she participated in an international tournament with fellow freshman Brittany Macdonald.

A new calendar year in 2008 brought even greater success.

Sophomores Reuben Ross and Brittany Viola each won a national championship last month in diving. So did track star Krista Simkins in the indoor 400-meter. Tim Harris is smashing school records left and right. And as we speak, both the nationally ranked men’s and women’s tennis teams are preparing for the ACC championship this weekend.

Junior Daniel Vallverdu is ranked fifth while his sister Laura is 20th. Youth and international talent take the courts at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, which sees minimal spectators at each home match.

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love football. The problem arises nationally when ESPN starts airing spring football practices when it could cover any other sport actually in season. None of the three games between the top two teams in college baseball is set to air on TV this weekend.

Will the series even be featured on SportsCenter? Probably not.

All I ask is that the next time you call yourself a sports fan, remember that you’re implying your love and support for more than one sport.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...