BASEBALL: Miami tops Florida State, 11-4

POSTED APRIL 18 AT 10:45 P.M.

Miami overwhelmed Florida State Friday night, scoring 11 unanswered runs en route to an 11-4 victory over the No. 2-ranked team in the country.

The No. 1-ranked Canes (32-3, 16-1 ACC) fell behind the Seminoles (33-4, 17-2) early, trailing 4-0 heading into the sixth inning. But in the sixth, the Canes exploded with 10 runs, taking control of the game and forcing Florida State head coach Mike Martin to change picters .

Jemile Weeks paced the offense, accumulating three hits and driving in two runs. Chris Hernandez (5-0) picked up the win, going five innings while giving up all four Seminole runs.

Miami will now go for the series win tomorrow, as the same two teams continue their three-game series. First pitch tomorrow night is at 7 p.m.; Sunday’s first pitch is at 12:30 p.m.

Notes
Head coach Jim Morris said staff ace Eric Erickson is expected to return to the rotation Sunday, starting for the Canes. He will be limited to 50 pitches in his return.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...