BASEBALL: Miami tops Florida State, 11-4

POSTED APRIL 18 AT 10:45 P.M.

Miami overwhelmed Florida State Friday night, scoring 11 unanswered runs en route to an 11-4 victory over the No. 2-ranked team in the country.

The No. 1-ranked Canes (32-3, 16-1 ACC) fell behind the Seminoles (33-4, 17-2) early, trailing 4-0 heading into the sixth inning. But in the sixth, the Canes exploded with 10 runs, taking control of the game and forcing Florida State head coach Mike Martin to change picters .

Jemile Weeks paced the offense, accumulating three hits and driving in two runs. Chris Hernandez (5-0) picked up the win, going five innings while giving up all four Seminole runs.

Miami will now go for the series win tomorrow, as the same two teams continue their three-game series. First pitch tomorrow night is at 7 p.m.; Sunday’s first pitch is at 12:30 p.m.

Notes
Head coach Jim Morris said staff ace Eric Erickson is expected to return to the rotation Sunday, starting for the Canes. He will be limited to 50 pitches in his return.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...