BASEBALL: Miami tops Florida State, 11-4

POSTED APRIL 18 AT 10:45 P.M.

Miami overwhelmed Florida State Friday night, scoring 11 unanswered runs en route to an 11-4 victory over the No. 2-ranked team in the country.

The No. 1-ranked Canes (32-3, 16-1 ACC) fell behind the Seminoles (33-4, 17-2) early, trailing 4-0 heading into the sixth inning. But in the sixth, the Canes exploded with 10 runs, taking control of the game and forcing Florida State head coach Mike Martin to change picters .

Jemile Weeks paced the offense, accumulating three hits and driving in two runs. Chris Hernandez (5-0) picked up the win, going five innings while giving up all four Seminole runs.

Miami will now go for the series win tomorrow, as the same two teams continue their three-game series. First pitch tomorrow night is at 7 p.m.; Sunday’s first pitch is at 12:30 p.m.

Notes
Head coach Jim Morris said staff ace Eric Erickson is expected to return to the rotation Sunday, starting for the Canes. He will be limited to 50 pitches in his return.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...