BASEBALL: Miami tops Florida State, 11-4

POSTED APRIL 18 AT 10:45 P.M.

Miami overwhelmed Florida State Friday night, scoring 11 unanswered runs en route to an 11-4 victory over the No. 2-ranked team in the country.

The No. 1-ranked Canes (32-3, 16-1 ACC) fell behind the Seminoles (33-4, 17-2) early, trailing 4-0 heading into the sixth inning. But in the sixth, the Canes exploded with 10 runs, taking control of the game and forcing Florida State head coach Mike Martin to change picters .

Jemile Weeks paced the offense, accumulating three hits and driving in two runs. Chris Hernandez (5-0) picked up the win, going five innings while giving up all four Seminole runs.

Miami will now go for the series win tomorrow, as the same two teams continue their three-game series. First pitch tomorrow night is at 7 p.m.; Sunday’s first pitch is at 12:30 p.m.

Notes
Head coach Jim Morris said staff ace Eric Erickson is expected to return to the rotation Sunday, starting for the Canes. He will be limited to 50 pitches in his return.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...