BASEBALL: Miami tops Florida State, 11-4

POSTED APRIL 18 AT 10:45 P.M.

Miami overwhelmed Florida State Friday night, scoring 11 unanswered runs en route to an 11-4 victory over the No. 2-ranked team in the country.

The No. 1-ranked Canes (32-3, 16-1 ACC) fell behind the Seminoles (33-4, 17-2) early, trailing 4-0 heading into the sixth inning. But in the sixth, the Canes exploded with 10 runs, taking control of the game and forcing Florida State head coach Mike Martin to change picters .

Jemile Weeks paced the offense, accumulating three hits and driving in two runs. Chris Hernandez (5-0) picked up the win, going five innings while giving up all four Seminole runs.

Miami will now go for the series win tomorrow, as the same two teams continue their three-game series. First pitch tomorrow night is at 7 p.m.; Sunday’s first pitch is at 12:30 p.m.

Notes
Head coach Jim Morris said staff ace Eric Erickson is expected to return to the rotation Sunday, starting for the Canes. He will be limited to 50 pitches in his return.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...