BASEBALL: Late-inning heroics save Miami, 12-10

It looked like yet another baffling midweek loss to FAU, as Miami trailed the Owls 10-9 in the top of the ninth with two outs. Last week, the Canes fell to FAU 6-3, ending the team’s 14-game winning streak. That is, it looked like that until power hitter Yonder Alonso stepped up to the plate.

With one swing of his bat, Alonso changed the course of the game, giving Miami a lead they would never relinquish. The No. 1-ranked Canes left Boca Raton victorious, 12-10.

Starting pitcher Michael Rudman had trouble again, giving up five earned runs in only two innings of work. By the fourth inning, Miami (31-3) fell behind 10-3.

But that’s where the FAU (21-13) scoring would stop. A platoon of pitchers including Anthony Nalepa, Kyle Bellamy, P.J. Fisher and Carlos Gutierrez didn’t give up a run for the remainder of the game, allowing the Miami offense to crawl back into the game.

Shortstop Ryan Jackson stood out, notching four hits and three RBIs in the game. Mark Sobolewski also contribbuted, driving in four runs for the Canes. But ultimately it was Yonder Alonso and his ninth-inning blast that defined Wednesday’s game.

Miami now travels to Tallahassee for their weekend series against Florida State, pitting the No. 1-ranked Canes against the No. 2-ranked Seminoles. The first game of the three-game series begins Friday night at 7 p.m.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...