BASEBALL: Canes win game, series against Noles

POSTED APRIL 20 AT 4:38 P.M.

No one said it was going to be easy.

After quickly acquiring an 11-4 lead, Miami was forced to hold their breath as Florida State had the game-tying run on third base. But, thanks to the clutch performance of closer Carlos Gutierrez, the Canes claimed a series win over the No. 2-ranked Seminoles, 11-10, in a game shortened to seven innings due to curfew restrictions.

Before the game, both teams agreed that no inning could begin before 3:30 p.m. In an game that featured 21 runs scored, that forced the umpires to call it early. It worked to Miami’s benefit, as Florida State scored the game’s last six runs.

Sophomore starter Eric Erickson returned to the rotation for Miami (33-4, 17-2 ACC) and put in a solid performance, giving up three runs in four innings of work, two runs coming after he left the game.

The Miami offense was paced by All-American first baseman Yonder Alonso, who had two hits in three at-bats, both home runs. His grand slam in the third led to a five-run Hurricane inning.

The Seminoles’ (34-5, 18-3 ACC) bats came back to life in the fourth inning, highlighted by a five-run sixth inning. Junior catcher Buster Posey‘s three-run home run gave him his second hit on the day.

The Hurricanes now come back to South Florida, preparing for a Wednesday game against Florida International. That game’s first pitch is at 7 p.m.

All games can be heard on WVUM 90.5 FM and www.wvum.org.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

The northeastern Italian city, built in a lagoon and growing increasingly more susceptible to sea le ...

Climate scientist Katharine Mach is researching ways to adapt to our changing climate, including how ...

Thomas J. Meade, the founder of four biotech companies, launches the Frost Institute of Chemistry an ...

Frost School of Music’s Opera Program set to debut production of “L'enfant et les sortileges.” ...

During the second workshop, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership created a brave space for s ...

Shaquille Quarterman arrived at Miami hoping to make a difference. He's done that and more. Now ...

University of Miami sophomore Brevin Jordan was selected as one of eight semifinalists for the 2019 ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced Miami's 2020 schedule on Tuesday a ...

The only school to win the tournament twice, Miami men's basketball team is set to compete in t ...

Mike Harley arrived in Coral Gables as a high school All-American expected to make an immediate impa ...