BASEBALL: Canes win game, series against Noles

POSTED APRIL 20 AT 4:38 P.M.

No one said it was going to be easy.

After quickly acquiring an 11-4 lead, Miami was forced to hold their breath as Florida State had the game-tying run on third base. But, thanks to the clutch performance of closer Carlos Gutierrez, the Canes claimed a series win over the No. 2-ranked Seminoles, 11-10, in a game shortened to seven innings due to curfew restrictions.

Before the game, both teams agreed that no inning could begin before 3:30 p.m. In an game that featured 21 runs scored, that forced the umpires to call it early. It worked to Miami’s benefit, as Florida State scored the game’s last six runs.

Sophomore starter Eric Erickson returned to the rotation for Miami (33-4, 17-2 ACC) and put in a solid performance, giving up three runs in four innings of work, two runs coming after he left the game.

The Miami offense was paced by All-American first baseman Yonder Alonso, who had two hits in three at-bats, both home runs. His grand slam in the third led to a five-run Hurricane inning.

The Seminoles’ (34-5, 18-3 ACC) bats came back to life in the fourth inning, highlighted by a five-run sixth inning. Junior catcher Buster Posey‘s three-run home run gave him his second hit on the day.

The Hurricanes now come back to South Florida, preparing for a Wednesday game against Florida International. That game’s first pitch is at 7 p.m.

All games can be heard on WVUM 90.5 FM and www.wvum.org.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...