BASEBALL: Canes fall to Seminoles Saturday night, 9-5

Another comeback decided Saturday night’s Miami-Florida State game, but to the Canes’ dismay, it was the Seminoles doing the late-inning scoring, topping Miami, 9-5.

Miami held a 5-4 lead heading into the sixth, but a three-run sixth for Florida State gave them a lead the would not relinquish. The Canes would not score again.

Senior starting pitcher Enrique Garcia was inconsistent, pitching four scoreless innings but giving up six earned runs in the second and sixth innings, completing only 5 1/3 innings of work. Closer Carlos Gutierrez gave up two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning.

No Miami player had more than two hits. Dennis Raben led the Hurricanes in runs batted in with two.

Miami and Florida State will complete their three-game series tomorrow at 12:30 p.m., as both teams will try to win the series and likely become the consensus No. 1 team in the country.

All games can be heard on WVUM 90.5 FM and www.wvum.org.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...