BASEBALL: Canes fall to Seminoles Saturday night, 9-5

Another comeback decided Saturday night’s Miami-Florida State game, but to the Canes’ dismay, it was the Seminoles doing the late-inning scoring, topping Miami, 9-5.

Miami held a 5-4 lead heading into the sixth, but a three-run sixth for Florida State gave them a lead the would not relinquish. The Canes would not score again.

Senior starting pitcher Enrique Garcia was inconsistent, pitching four scoreless innings but giving up six earned runs in the second and sixth innings, completing only 5 1/3 innings of work. Closer Carlos Gutierrez gave up two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning.

No Miami player had more than two hits. Dennis Raben led the Hurricanes in runs batted in with two.

Miami and Florida State will complete their three-game series tomorrow at 12:30 p.m., as both teams will try to win the series and likely become the consensus No. 1 team in the country.

All games can be heard on WVUM 90.5 FM and www.wvum.org.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...