WOMEN’S TENNIS: Streak extends after wins in North Carolina

The No. 11 women’s tennis team extended their winning streak to seven games this weekend, closing out their regular season with convincing wins over No. 45 N.C. State and No. 35 Wake Forest.

In Raleigh, No. 20-ranked Laura Vallverdu won 6-2, 6-1 at the first position over N.C. State’s Berkeley Brock. Romy Farah was just as impressive in a 6-2, 6-2 win over Lenka Hojckova. The Wolfpack’s only point of the day came in No. 2 position as Daria Petrovic defeated No. 53 Micheala Kissell 10-8 in the third-set tiebreaker. The Hurricanes swept the lower three singles spots, with Bianca Eichkorn winning 6-2, 6-3, Caren Seenauth winning 6-2, 6-2, and Claudia Wasilewski grinding her match out for a 7-6, 7-6 win.

The team win gave head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews her 132nd win as a coach at Miami, breaking the program’s old record, set by former head coach Ian Duvenhage from 1981-1988.

On Sunday the Hurricanes stayed on Tobacco Road, traveling to Winston-Salem, N.C. to play the Demon Deacons of Wake Forest. For the second straight day, Miami won singles while only dropping one match. Vallverdu lost to Sasha Kulikova 6-1, 6-2 to start off the singles, which broke her streak of seven straight wins at the first position, but the team would not drop a match from there. Kissell dropped the first set but finished 7-5, 1-0. Eichkorn and Seenauth won in straight sets, and Wasilewski won in three sets.

With the wins, Miami has assured themselves of a bye in this weekend’s ACC tournament. Their play will start Thursday, with the league expected to announce seeding Monday.

Alexander Bryant may be contacted at a.bryant4@umiami.edu.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...