TRACK AND FIELD: Two Canes set school records

In their final home meet of the season, the annual Miami Elite Invitational, the University of Miami men’s and women’s track and field seniors did not disappoint.

Four-time All-American Tim Harris broke another school record, this time in the 1,500-meter, an event that isn’t his specialty. Harris, typically an 800-meter runner, broke the nine-year old record with a time of 3 minutes 53.38 seconds. The old record of 3:54.03 was set in 1999.

“It feels good,” Harris said after the historic performance. “That record was one of my goals that I set at the beginning of the season. I felt I could have run it a little faster. But to get the record and the win at our last home meet in front of family and friends makes me feel really good.”

To go along with Harris’ new school record, senior Khadija Talley wrote herself into the record book as well. Talley broke her own school record in the discus throw with a throw of 57.10 meters and took first place in the shot put, reaching 15.00 meters. With her throw of 57.10 meters in the discus, Talley reached the top mark in the nation, becoming the third female Cane to do so this season.

“I was very pleased with Talley,” said women’s head coach Amy Deem, whose team is ranked No. 7 in the nation. “She had a huge personal best and set a school record in women’s discus. It was good to see that.”

Not only did the Hurricanes compete against other collegiate athletes, they also competed against some of the world’s best. Overall, men’s head coach Mike Ward was pleased with the team’s effort and hard work during the Miami Elite.

“We had a nice little meet,” Ward said of the Invitational. “Things went pretty well. This helped us get ready for the Atlantic Coast Conference championship. We did a lot better here than I expected which made it a really nice meet.”

The Hurricanes now will prepare to travel to Atlanta, Ga., to compete in the ACC championship, looking to win awards and qualify for the NCAA championships.

“The big picture for us is the ACC championship,” Deem said. “This track meet was great for our athletes to compete against some of the best athletes in the world. It was great experience.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...