TRACK AND FIELD: Two Canes set school records

In their final home meet of the season, the annual Miami Elite Invitational, the University of Miami men’s and women’s track and field seniors did not disappoint.

Four-time All-American Tim Harris broke another school record, this time in the 1,500-meter, an event that isn’t his specialty. Harris, typically an 800-meter runner, broke the nine-year old record with a time of 3 minutes 53.38 seconds. The old record of 3:54.03 was set in 1999.

“It feels good,” Harris said after the historic performance. “That record was one of my goals that I set at the beginning of the season. I felt I could have run it a little faster. But to get the record and the win at our last home meet in front of family and friends makes me feel really good.”

To go along with Harris’ new school record, senior Khadija Talley wrote herself into the record book as well. Talley broke her own school record in the discus throw with a throw of 57.10 meters and took first place in the shot put, reaching 15.00 meters. With her throw of 57.10 meters in the discus, Talley reached the top mark in the nation, becoming the third female Cane to do so this season.

“I was very pleased with Talley,” said women’s head coach Amy Deem, whose team is ranked No. 7 in the nation. “She had a huge personal best and set a school record in women’s discus. It was good to see that.”

Not only did the Hurricanes compete against other collegiate athletes, they also competed against some of the world’s best. Overall, men’s head coach Mike Ward was pleased with the team’s effort and hard work during the Miami Elite.

“We had a nice little meet,” Ward said of the Invitational. “Things went pretty well. This helped us get ready for the Atlantic Coast Conference championship. We did a lot better here than I expected which made it a really nice meet.”

The Hurricanes now will prepare to travel to Atlanta, Ga., to compete in the ACC championship, looking to win awards and qualify for the NCAA championships.

“The big picture for us is the ACC championship,” Deem said. “This track meet was great for our athletes to compete against some of the best athletes in the world. It was great experience.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...