TRACK AND FIELD: Two Canes set school records

In their final home meet of the season, the annual Miami Elite Invitational, the University of Miami men’s and women’s track and field seniors did not disappoint.

Four-time All-American Tim Harris broke another school record, this time in the 1,500-meter, an event that isn’t his specialty. Harris, typically an 800-meter runner, broke the nine-year old record with a time of 3 minutes 53.38 seconds. The old record of 3:54.03 was set in 1999.

“It feels good,” Harris said after the historic performance. “That record was one of my goals that I set at the beginning of the season. I felt I could have run it a little faster. But to get the record and the win at our last home meet in front of family and friends makes me feel really good.”

To go along with Harris’ new school record, senior Khadija Talley wrote herself into the record book as well. Talley broke her own school record in the discus throw with a throw of 57.10 meters and took first place in the shot put, reaching 15.00 meters. With her throw of 57.10 meters in the discus, Talley reached the top mark in the nation, becoming the third female Cane to do so this season.

“I was very pleased with Talley,” said women’s head coach Amy Deem, whose team is ranked No. 7 in the nation. “She had a huge personal best and set a school record in women’s discus. It was good to see that.”

Not only did the Hurricanes compete against other collegiate athletes, they also competed against some of the world’s best. Overall, men’s head coach Mike Ward was pleased with the team’s effort and hard work during the Miami Elite.

“We had a nice little meet,” Ward said of the Invitational. “Things went pretty well. This helped us get ready for the Atlantic Coast Conference championship. We did a lot better here than I expected which made it a really nice meet.”

The Hurricanes now will prepare to travel to Atlanta, Ga., to compete in the ACC championship, looking to win awards and qualify for the NCAA championships.

“The big picture for us is the ACC championship,” Deem said. “This track meet was great for our athletes to compete against some of the best athletes in the world. It was great experience.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...