Music students put on capable opera shows

Watching opera is not a typical night outing for most college kids, but the Frost School of Music made the art form an option for students on campus over the weekend.

The Frost Opera Theater program performed Mozart’s “Bastien and Bastienne” and Purcell’s “Dido and Aeneas” at Gusman Hall from April 10 to 13.

The performance of Mozart’s piece was impressive, as all three performers – students Laura Montes, Will Spanheimer and Rishi Rane – breathed life into their characters with as much musicality as the composer had intended.

“I was pleasantly surprised because I did not expect our college to have such a strong opera program,” Matt Levin, a freshman, said.

The second opera, “Dido and Aeneas,” differed from the first show in many ways. The cast size was over 20 as opposed to three, and the singers were predominantly freshmen.

One might assume that the addition of potentially inexperienced freshman would hinder the performance, but this was not the case. Their sound was one of confidence and their opera carried a musical balance that isn’t typically found in such a young ensemble.

Lauren Levy, who played Dido in “Dido and Aenaeas,” portrayed her character with such a strong voice that it voice stood out louder than the rest of the ensemble. This allowed the audience to connect to and characterize Dido as a woman of power.

Chris Bedford, who visited campus from FAU to see the opera, enjoyed the performance despite difficulties following the story.

“The plot was confusing because I couldn’t really understand what they were saying all the time,” he said. “But with that being said, it was absolutely amazing. I thought they did a really good job portraying their characters.”

With diverse programming and amazing students in their performances, these Frost School of Music productions offered a chance for students to learn and be entertained.

Sam Rotenberg may be contacted at s.rotenberg@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...