MEN’S TENNIS: Miami takes fourth straight win to finish the regular season

No. 23 Miami (13-6, 6-4) extended its winning streak to four games Sunday afternoon with a 5-2 victory at No. 58 Maryland (10-10, 2-9) to finish off the regular season.

Once again the Canes got off on the right foot, winning two of three doubles matches for the doubles point. The 35th-ranked pair of junior Daniel Vallverdu and freshman Carl Sundberg upset eighth-ranked Andrew Orban and Boris Fetbroyt 8-6. Meanwhile, senior Vivek Subramanian and junior David Rosenfeld’s 36th-ranked prevailed 8-4. The sole loss came in the third doubles match for sophomores J.C. Whitner and Hector Nieto, 8-5.

“Winning the doubles point was very important today against a Maryland team that continues to improve,” said head coach Mario Rincon.

The Hurricanes would go on to win four of the six singles points led by No. 5 Vallverdu’s victory in three sets against No. 79 Amit Inbar 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.

Freshman Keith Crowley played strong again in a straight-sets win 7-5, 6-2 in the fifth position. Sundberg, after two decisive points that led Miami to key wins versus N.C. State and Wake Forest last week, fell in the fourth spot to Nickolai Nielsen 4-6, 6-4, 6-2, and Subramanian lost in his final collegiate regular season game in straight sets, 7-5, 6-2.

Rosenfeld and sophomore Barnabas Carrega rounded up the Canes’ victories in three sets by scores of 3-6, 6-0, 6-1 and 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 respectively.

“We had a tough match today,” said Rosenfeld. “Maryland is a solid team. We played well as a team and when things got tough in the singles, we were able to pull it out and get the win. It feels great to finish the season with a win and have a winning record in the ACC.”

On Friday, the Canes picked up their third-straight win in a perfect 7-0 match against Boston College (8-14, 1-9) indoors. Besides sweeping all three doubles and all six singles matches, each was won in straight sets.

Miami will now prepare for the ACC Championships which take place later this week in Raleigh, N.C.

“It’s great to finish the regular season strong,” said Vallverdu. “We have a few days before the conference tournament. We are going to have to get ready for it.”

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...