MEN’S BASKETBALL: McClinton to stay for senior season

Jack McClinton will return to the Hurricanes for his senior season, affirming what many had assumed since the end of Miami’s season in the second round of the NCAA tournament.
McClinton, named a member of the All-ACC first team this season, declined entering the NBA draft in order to play his final season of NCAA eligibility.
“Jack is the heart and soul of this team,” head coach Frank Haith said in a statement. “He is a tremendous young man with an unmatched work ethic, who has just worked incredibly hard for everything he has achieved. There is no question we are a much better team with Jack McClinton on the court, and I truly believe he is one of the most talented and dedicated players in all of Division I basketball.”
McClinton scored 17.7 points per game last season, leading the league in three-point field goals per game and free throw percentage. He is the only All-ACC first team selection who was also named to the All-ACC Academic team.
The Hurricanes lose five seniors, but return their top five scorers. Miami has been ranked in the top-20 by ESPN.com, FoxSports.com and CBS sports, based on the assumption that McClinton would return.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...