Genocide is focus of new student organization

A new University of Miami organization, Genocide Ends Today (GET), is encouraging student activism and endeavoring to fight attitudes of indifference toward ethnic cleansing campaigns.

The organization is two months old and has approximately 50 members. One of its primary concerns is raising awareness on campus about genocide in places such as Darfur, where an estimated 200,000 to 400,000 people have died in the past five years.

GET was inspired by local filmmaker Michael Pertnoy, who met with several students at UM’s Hillel at the beginning of the spring semester.

Pertnoy is working on a documentary entitled The Last Survivor, which examines past and present genocides in the world. His production company, Righteous Pictures, is also cosponsoring a genocide awareness event called reACT, which is next week.

After the meeting, the students felt compelled to promote Pertnoy’s event and documentary as well as establish a campus organization specifically dedicated to genocide.

Freshman Tyler Baram became one of the group’s organizers.

“People never thought I’d do something like this,” said Baram, a former club promoter, who spent most of his weekends in South Beach during his first semester. He decided over winter break to come back to school with a new mindset and now encourages others to “get their priorities straight.”

“I think it’s pathetic that people worry about the drink that they’re getting at Starbucks when a kid in Darfur can’t get water,” he said.

Baram said GET is presently “under the wing of Hillel,” where meetings are hosted every Thursday at 6 p.m., but he and other members eventually want the organization to be independent.

Spreading genocide awareness has not been easy for the organization. GET organizer Sandy Moskovitz said many students see T-shirts with a Save Darfur emblem and ask, “Is that a rock band?”

GET also had a “run-in” with campus authorities one night while using chalk to write genocide facts on campus sidewalks. The officers wanted to charge the participants with vandalism.

Baram said they were able to “keep out of getting into any serious trouble” by explaining the purpose and importance of the activity. Eventually, they even got the officers’ support, he said.

GET is currently creating partnerships with other campus organizations such as Quantum Film Society to create genocide awareness ads similar to the smoking awareness ads created by the national Truth campaign.

Victoria Genuardi may be contacted at v.genuardi@umiami.edu.

reACT is this Thursday at 7:30 p.m. at the Holocaust Memorial in Miami Beach. Survivors of the Rwandan genocide and the Holocaust are keynote speakers. Pertnoy will be filming the event for his documentary. Baram said GET will provide bus service for UM students. Seven other Miami colleges are expected to attend.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...