Events Beat

Forum addresses racism

As part of a weeklong celebration for its 18th birthday, Sigma Lambda Gamma, a sorority that is part of the Latino Greek council, hosted “iRacism” Tuesday night at Mahoney Residential College. The forum was co-sponsored with Phi-Beta Sigma fraternity, a member of the Pan-Hellenic Council devoted to “assisting members and chapters in achieving their educational, social and cultural objectives.” Greeks and other interested students gathered to learn about and discuss racism and biases as they affect their communities and their own perceptions of others. Students listened to concerns of their peers, while also sharing personal experiences with racism.

– Nina Ruggiero

Toppel workshop guides history majors to career

The Toppel Careel Center gave guidelines to 18 young minds wondering what to do with a history degree Wednesday afternoon at the second annual Career Management Info Session for History Majors. James Smart, director of Toppel, presented students with a PowerPoint presentation, handouts, and a self assessment test to help students figure out what kind of career would suit them best with their degree in history. His goal was “to get the career info diffused” among as many students as possible. Hermann Beck, an associate professor in the Department of History gave commentary and advice.

– Nina Ruggiero

Speaker discusses reality

Author and motivational speaker Nancy Barry spoke to group of approximately 60 students Tuesday night in the UC ballrooms for a discussion called “When Reality Hits: What Employers Want Recent College Graduates to Know.” Barry began by asserting, “If you follow the advice I give you tonight, you are going to meet and exceed your boss’s expectations.” Barry’s words of advice included: “Everyone in this room should have a business card;” “focus on what you can do for the company, not what they can do for you;” and “write handwritten thank you notes.” The event was sponsored by the Toppel Career Center, Alpha Kappa Psi, Omicron Delta Kappa and Phi Alpha Delta.

– Stephanie Genuardi

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...