Events Beat

Forum addresses racism

As part of a weeklong celebration for its 18th birthday, Sigma Lambda Gamma, a sorority that is part of the Latino Greek council, hosted “iRacism” Tuesday night at Mahoney Residential College. The forum was co-sponsored with Phi-Beta Sigma fraternity, a member of the Pan-Hellenic Council devoted to “assisting members and chapters in achieving their educational, social and cultural objectives.” Greeks and other interested students gathered to learn about and discuss racism and biases as they affect their communities and their own perceptions of others. Students listened to concerns of their peers, while also sharing personal experiences with racism.

– Nina Ruggiero

Toppel workshop guides history majors to career

The Toppel Careel Center gave guidelines to 18 young minds wondering what to do with a history degree Wednesday afternoon at the second annual Career Management Info Session for History Majors. James Smart, director of Toppel, presented students with a PowerPoint presentation, handouts, and a self assessment test to help students figure out what kind of career would suit them best with their degree in history. His goal was “to get the career info diffused” among as many students as possible. Hermann Beck, an associate professor in the Department of History gave commentary and advice.

– Nina Ruggiero

Speaker discusses reality

Author and motivational speaker Nancy Barry spoke to group of approximately 60 students Tuesday night in the UC ballrooms for a discussion called “When Reality Hits: What Employers Want Recent College Graduates to Know.” Barry began by asserting, “If you follow the advice I give you tonight, you are going to meet and exceed your boss’s expectations.” Barry’s words of advice included: “Everyone in this room should have a business card;” “focus on what you can do for the company, not what they can do for you;” and “write handwritten thank you notes.” The event was sponsored by the Toppel Career Center, Alpha Kappa Psi, Omicron Delta Kappa and Phi Alpha Delta.

– Stephanie Genuardi

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...