Events Beat

Forum addresses racism

As part of a weeklong celebration for its 18th birthday, Sigma Lambda Gamma, a sorority that is part of the Latino Greek council, hosted “iRacism” Tuesday night at Mahoney Residential College. The forum was co-sponsored with Phi-Beta Sigma fraternity, a member of the Pan-Hellenic Council devoted to “assisting members and chapters in achieving their educational, social and cultural objectives.” Greeks and other interested students gathered to learn about and discuss racism and biases as they affect their communities and their own perceptions of others. Students listened to concerns of their peers, while also sharing personal experiences with racism.

– Nina Ruggiero

Toppel workshop guides history majors to career

The Toppel Careel Center gave guidelines to 18 young minds wondering what to do with a history degree Wednesday afternoon at the second annual Career Management Info Session for History Majors. James Smart, director of Toppel, presented students with a PowerPoint presentation, handouts, and a self assessment test to help students figure out what kind of career would suit them best with their degree in history. His goal was “to get the career info diffused” among as many students as possible. Hermann Beck, an associate professor in the Department of History gave commentary and advice.

– Nina Ruggiero

Speaker discusses reality

Author and motivational speaker Nancy Barry spoke to group of approximately 60 students Tuesday night in the UC ballrooms for a discussion called “When Reality Hits: What Employers Want Recent College Graduates to Know.” Barry began by asserting, “If you follow the advice I give you tonight, you are going to meet and exceed your boss’s expectations.” Barry’s words of advice included: “Everyone in this room should have a business card;” “focus on what you can do for the company, not what they can do for you;” and “write handwritten thank you notes.” The event was sponsored by the Toppel Career Center, Alpha Kappa Psi, Omicron Delta Kappa and Phi Alpha Delta.

– Stephanie Genuardi