Defibrillators installed in ‘places of public assembly’

The University of Miami installed 54 life-saving devices around campus in January as a result of an Aug. 17 Coral Gables city ordinance.

Automatic External Defibrillators must be present in all places of public assembly in excess of 20,000 square feet, the ordinance says.

The defibrillators have been placed at all entrances of the residential colleges, in the dining halls, in each of the nine public safety vehicles and on the first floors of every main building such as the Ashe building and the UC.

Their purpose is to prevent death from a heart attack, which can cause a person to suffer brain damage or death within four to six minutes, according to the American Heart Association.

Although the AEDs are available for emergencies, some students are apprehensive at the thought of using them.

“I’ve used an [AED] on a dummy but not a person,” Andie Smestad, a sophomore, said. “I would be afraid to shock a person. What if they didn’t need it?”

Still, the devices are equipped with verbal step-by-step directions. Once a person opens an AED kit, a voice recites instructions, said Kenneth Capezzuto, director of Environmental Health and Safety.

The university also provides AED and CPR classes that are hosted through the department of Risk and Management.

All members of the university community can sign up for the free course.

Although the university is not required to have AED training for faculty or staff, the course is recommended.

“The more familiar a person is with AED the less hesitant that person will be to use [it],” Capezzuto said.

Freshman Elyse Feinerman, who has taken CPR and AED courses, said she is confident that she would be able to help in an emergency.

“Absolutely, the new defibrillators tell you everything,” she said. “Anyone [can]use it.”

Najwa-Monique Sharpe may be contacted at n.sharpe@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...