BASEBALL: Team cruises with three wins over GT

After being postponed by tragedy, the No. 1 ranked University of Miami baseball team swept an emotionally-charged three-game series at No. 10 Georgia Tech.

The opening game of the series, originally scheduled for Friday night, was put off until Saturday after Yellow Jackets junior pitcher Michael Hutts was found dead in his off-campus apartment Friday morning.

“This was an emotionally draining day for us,” Georgia Tech Coach Danny Hall said after the doubleheader. “But give Miami credit for coming out and playing extremely well today.”

Before Saturday’s rescheduled game Saturday, Georgia Tech had a moment of silence and painted Hutts’ jersey No. 40 on the grass in front of the dugout.

“They’re hurting,” Hall told the Associated Press. “We got a chance to play two games today, but there’s still a lot of emotion riding on Michael.”

Junior center fielder Blake Tekotte went 9-for-15 for the Hurricanes (30-3, 15-1 ACC) with nine RBIs.

After a tough midweek loss against Florida Atlantic at home, Miami got back on track against the Yellow Jackets (26-10, 9-9 ACC), winning both games of the Saturday doubleheader by scores of 10-5 and 15-5. Miami combined for 46 hits, including eight home runs in the series.

Freshman pitcher Chris Hernandez (5-0) had another strong outing, giving up only three runs on seven hits in six innings of work. Hernandez is now tied with sophomores Eric Erickson and Kyle Bellamy with a team-leading five wins on the season.

Miami jumped ahead earlier on Saturday night and never looked back, winning easily by a score of 15-5. Tekotte had a career day going 4-for-4 and was just a double shy of the cycle. His two home runs and seven RBIs in the game proved to be the difference maker. Georgia Tech starting pitcher Eric Burns (4-3) had a rough outing giving up six hits and six earned runs in two innings as the Canes led 9-1 after three.

Senior pitcher Enrique Garcia (2-0) gave up eight hits through seven innings to get the win and clinch the series for the Hurricanes. Junior second baseman Jemile Weeks and sophomore shortstop Ryan Jackson each added two RBIs in the game.

Miami finished off the series with a 9-3 victory to complete the sweep of the Yellow Jackets. Georgia Tech had a run in each of their first three innings, but a two-run home run from junior left fielder Adan Severino and a solo shot from Alonso gave Miami a 6-3 lead. Another great pitching performance, this time from sophomore pitcher David Gutierrez (2-0), combined with 16 hits secured the win for the Canes.

Miami will now head to Boca Raton to play Florida Atlantic Wednesday before taking on No. 2 Florida State in Tallahassee this weekend.

Rory Lincoln may be contacted at r.lincoln@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...