Sports Briefs

Basketball
Haith earns extension

The University of Miami has locked up men’s basketball head coach Frank Haith, signing him to a contract extension through 2013. The extension comes after Haith took his team to the second round of this season’s NCAA tournament, almost pulling off a major upset against Texas, but ultimately falling 75-72. Haith will return all but four of this season’s players next season.

Baseball
Hurricanes No. 1

The University of Miami baseball team is ranked No. 1 by the USA Today/ESPN, Baseball America, Rivals.com and National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association polls. These polls, which came out on Monday, had the Canes (26-2, 12-1 ACC) ranked No. 1 for the first time since 2004.

Men’s Tennis
Sundberg earns ACC honors

University of Miami true freshman Carl Sundberg was named Atlantic Coast Conference Men’s Tennis Player of the Week. Sundberg finished the previous week 2-0 in both singles and doubles play. Sundberg knocked off N.C. State’s Derek Stephens and Wake Forest’s Jonathan Wolff to clinch game-winning points in both matches, helping the Hurricanes edged both squads 4-3. Additionally, Sundberg joined Daniel Vallverdu in doubles to knock off N.C. State’s ninth-ranked duo and Wake Forest’s 11th-ranked doubles tandem.

Information compiled by Pravin Patel from HurricaneSports.com.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...