Sports Briefs

Basketball
Haith earns extension

The University of Miami has locked up men’s basketball head coach Frank Haith, signing him to a contract extension through 2013. The extension comes after Haith took his team to the second round of this season’s NCAA tournament, almost pulling off a major upset against Texas, but ultimately falling 75-72. Haith will return all but four of this season’s players next season.

Baseball
Hurricanes No. 1

The University of Miami baseball team is ranked No. 1 by the USA Today/ESPN, Baseball America, Rivals.com and National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association polls. These polls, which came out on Monday, had the Canes (26-2, 12-1 ACC) ranked No. 1 for the first time since 2004.

Men’s Tennis
Sundberg earns ACC honors

University of Miami true freshman Carl Sundberg was named Atlantic Coast Conference Men’s Tennis Player of the Week. Sundberg finished the previous week 2-0 in both singles and doubles play. Sundberg knocked off N.C. State’s Derek Stephens and Wake Forest’s Jonathan Wolff to clinch game-winning points in both matches, helping the Hurricanes edged both squads 4-3. Additionally, Sundberg joined Daniel Vallverdu in doubles to knock off N.C. State’s ninth-ranked duo and Wake Forest’s 11th-ranked doubles tandem.

Information compiled by Pravin Patel from HurricaneSports.com.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...