Sports Briefs

Basketball
Haith earns extension

The University of Miami has locked up men’s basketball head coach Frank Haith, signing him to a contract extension through 2013. The extension comes after Haith took his team to the second round of this season’s NCAA tournament, almost pulling off a major upset against Texas, but ultimately falling 75-72. Haith will return all but four of this season’s players next season.

Baseball
Hurricanes No. 1

The University of Miami baseball team is ranked No. 1 by the USA Today/ESPN, Baseball America, Rivals.com and National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association polls. These polls, which came out on Monday, had the Canes (26-2, 12-1 ACC) ranked No. 1 for the first time since 2004.

Men’s Tennis
Sundberg earns ACC honors

University of Miami true freshman Carl Sundberg was named Atlantic Coast Conference Men’s Tennis Player of the Week. Sundberg finished the previous week 2-0 in both singles and doubles play. Sundberg knocked off N.C. State’s Derek Stephens and Wake Forest’s Jonathan Wolff to clinch game-winning points in both matches, helping the Hurricanes edged both squads 4-3. Additionally, Sundberg joined Daniel Vallverdu in doubles to knock off N.C. State’s ninth-ranked duo and Wake Forest’s 11th-ranked doubles tandem.

Information compiled by Pravin Patel from HurricaneSports.com.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...