SLIDESHOW: Recycling at UM, where are we?

Having a recycling bin next to every trash can has been an ongoing goal for every green organization on campus. Now, a new committee has been created to focus on just that goal.

The members of the Committee of Recycling are trying to expand recycling in the University Village and fraternity houses, along with promoting bottled water awareness and educating freshmen about Green U.

Freshman Melissa Meade, an organizer of a monthly Green U roundtable meeting, said student’s mindsets need to change to make the university more sustainable.

“We want to make sure students are reaping the benefits and actually visually seeing what the university is doing to become more sustainable,” Meade said.

She also noted that the committee will be working with Ken Capezzuto, the director of Environmental Health and Safety and UNICCO, the company that handles the university’s janitorial services.

Capezzuto said the university’s recycling program needs improvement.

“By adding more containers throughout campus in more visible areas and transforming trash containers into recycling bins, it will increase the frequency of student recycling,” he said.

Sophomore Damara Hawley agrees, adding, “If I saw a recycling bin I’d definitely choose to throw my bottle in there rather than the garbage can.”

Laura Funk may be contacted at l.funk@umiami.edu and Fiona Kim may be contacted at h.kim18@umiami.edu.

The locations of recycling bins on campus

-The School of Law Quadrangle, Allen Hall Memorial Classroom Building, Cox Science Center, and the University Center Patio

-All floors of the residential colleges have recycling containers to recycle plastic, aluminum, and glass.
Pick-ups are done weekly.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...