SLIDESHOW: Recycling at UM, where are we?

Having a recycling bin next to every trash can has been an ongoing goal for every green organization on campus. Now, a new committee has been created to focus on just that goal.

The members of the Committee of Recycling are trying to expand recycling in the University Village and fraternity houses, along with promoting bottled water awareness and educating freshmen about Green U.

Freshman Melissa Meade, an organizer of a monthly Green U roundtable meeting, said student’s mindsets need to change to make the university more sustainable.

“We want to make sure students are reaping the benefits and actually visually seeing what the university is doing to become more sustainable,” Meade said.

She also noted that the committee will be working with Ken Capezzuto, the director of Environmental Health and Safety and UNICCO, the company that handles the university’s janitorial services.

Capezzuto said the university’s recycling program needs improvement.

“By adding more containers throughout campus in more visible areas and transforming trash containers into recycling bins, it will increase the frequency of student recycling,” he said.

Sophomore Damara Hawley agrees, adding, “If I saw a recycling bin I’d definitely choose to throw my bottle in there rather than the garbage can.”

Laura Funk may be contacted at l.funk@umiami.edu and Fiona Kim may be contacted at h.kim18@umiami.edu.

The locations of recycling bins on campus

-The School of Law Quadrangle, Allen Hall Memorial Classroom Building, Cox Science Center, and the University Center Patio

-All floors of the residential colleges have recycling containers to recycle plastic, aluminum, and glass.
Pick-ups are done weekly.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...