Shy guy can’t be mad for missing his chance

V,

I met this guy in one of my classes this semester and ever since the first day of class, he has been flirting with me and has a huge crush on me. I like him too and my friends said to keep flirting back but to keep dating other people. One day, he heard about a date I went on with someone else and he got furious. He even ignored me for the rest of the day. I’m still interested, but I don’t know what to do! Should I just ask him out or should I forget about it?

– Interested and Frustrated

Dear Interested,

There are plenty of things that are really hard to say: “I’m leaving you for your frat brother.” “You should probably get tested for hepatitis C.” “A few lawyers may drop by about some downloads I made on your computer.” And finally: “Hey, want to grab dinner later?”

A guy who can’t get himself to utter those words, especially to a girl who has been flirting with him for months, needs to bring out his cojones. No need for you to bring out yours. If this is what it’s come to, then clearly this is going nowhere.

Sure, you can hold his sweaty little hand and try to coax the man out of him, but what do you think is going to happen? You’ll take the lead for the first 10 seconds and then he’ll take over from there? Doubtful.

I understand it’s tempting to excuse this behavior as “shyness,” but a shy man will eventually sack up to ask a girl out, especially if he likes her enough. There’s something going on with this guy and it’s not called being shy.

Of course, there is the small, lingering chance that if you do end up asking this guy out, it’ll turn out great. But I’d tread carefully if I were you. Anyone who reacts to news that someone he’s not dating has a date is bad news. He may seem like a sweetheart, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have issues.

Best of luck!

Fact o’ the Day: 31 percent of single people say the Internet can serve as a substitute for a significant other.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com. Do it! All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...