SDT addresses child abuse at benefit

At 7 p.m. April 3 on the UC Patio, the sisters of Sigma Delta Tau hosted their annual philanthropy event – EAT, Bid and Be Merry – a dinner and auction.

The auction, which enterained 175 guests, was to raise money for “Prevent Child Abuse America,” an organization devoted to spreading awareness and preventing child abuse.

Sigma Delta Tau chapters around the country each conduct an annual service project, educational program, or major fund raiser for the benefit of PCAA.

At the program the sisters, who were all clad in black and white, auctioned an assortment of prizes including Marc Jacobs bags, dinner dates with the sisters, a toy robot left over from last year’s auction and other various prizes.

They also served pizza, hummus, bagels, salad, fruit and desserts, mostly donated from local restaurants around the Coral Gables area.

” Each year is different. Last year we had more people, more prizes, and a professional auctioneer, but it also rained and we had to move the whole thing inside last minute,” said Jen Grant, a junior and last year’s event chair. “However, I was disappointed that we did not have more robots [this year].”

Although they still have a few more dollars to collect to beat last year’s total, the sisters of SDT already raised about $11,000. This amount came from the $5 fee for anyone who planned to attend the event, donations from other Greek organizations, along with money collected from parents and alumni.

“This night is about so many things,” Grant said. “I see it as a chance for our sorority to dress up, come together and work towards an important goal as a sisterhood.”

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...