SDT addresses child abuse at benefit

At 7 p.m. April 3 on the UC Patio, the sisters of Sigma Delta Tau hosted their annual philanthropy event – EAT, Bid and Be Merry – a dinner and auction.

The auction, which enterained 175 guests, was to raise money for “Prevent Child Abuse America,” an organization devoted to spreading awareness and preventing child abuse.

Sigma Delta Tau chapters around the country each conduct an annual service project, educational program, or major fund raiser for the benefit of PCAA.

At the program the sisters, who were all clad in black and white, auctioned an assortment of prizes including Marc Jacobs bags, dinner dates with the sisters, a toy robot left over from last year’s auction and other various prizes.

They also served pizza, hummus, bagels, salad, fruit and desserts, mostly donated from local restaurants around the Coral Gables area.

” Each year is different. Last year we had more people, more prizes, and a professional auctioneer, but it also rained and we had to move the whole thing inside last minute,” said Jen Grant, a junior and last year’s event chair. “However, I was disappointed that we did not have more robots [this year].”

Although they still have a few more dollars to collect to beat last year’s total, the sisters of SDT already raised about $11,000. This amount came from the $5 fee for anyone who planned to attend the event, donations from other Greek organizations, along with money collected from parents and alumni.

“This night is about so many things,” Grant said. “I see it as a chance for our sorority to dress up, come together and work towards an important goal as a sisterhood.”

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...