Quesadilla café spices up CocoWalk

Thursday nights at the Grove typically end with a rendezvous to a local pizzeria, in which dozens of students empty their wallets for a slice of pizza. There is an alternative, however, and it consists of 27 healthy and trans fat-free options that will undoubtedly quench your fourth meal hunger. Make way for the future of late-night munchies: gourmet quesadillas at the International Quesadilla Company.

With a friendly staff, cozy outdoor seating and low prices, IQ will surely have you coming back for more. Located on the second floor of CocoWalk, IQ (formerly known as Mari Nalli) is the perfect addition to the lively Coconut Grove. The jazz music and patio style seating stir up an ambience that is relaxing and soothing. And though it is seemingly fast food, the gourmet café is actually devoid of any microwaves, toaster ovens, or deep fryers; rather, a conventional oven creates delicious quesadillas within minutes. Unfortunately, the ingredient mixtures are premade so there are no substitutions.

IQ is a novel and modern twist on an old-school delight that is ideal for a friendly lunch or even a stomach-filler before Thursday night kicks off. At extremely affordable prices, the well-portioned and whole-wheat quesadillas vary in international flavors, such as the Beijing Chicken, which is served with a special peanut sauce alongside carrots, cabbages and bean sprouts.

The restaurant is also vegetarian-friendly, with a section of their menu dedicated to non-meat lovers. The Quatro Formaggio, with its mouth-watering mix of melted mozzarella cheese and sun-dried tomatoes, is highly recommended Each order is also accompanied by a side dish, such as guacamole, sour cream, salad, soup or chips. The homemade Dulce de Leche, drenched over a warm crisp churro, is an absolute boon to the taste buds too. Lastly, don’t miss out Monday, April 14, which is IQ’s buy one, get one free quesadilla day.

An alternative to the ordinary, try this new favorite that is truly extraordinary.

Shawn Shah may be contacted at s.shah13@umiami.edu, and Menaka Dhand may be contacted at m.dhand@umiami.edu.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...