Lowe Art Museum to honor students, faculty at preview event

The Lowe Art Museum will honor students and faculty at the Lowe Exhibition Preview starting tomorrow. At the exhibition, there will be an awards ceremony and the announcement of the Master of Fine Arts candidates.

Guest speaker J. Tomás López, a professor in the Department of Art and Art History, is this year’s exhibiting faculty member. His display, titled The Metro Series, represents subway commuters in six cities worldwide: New York, Rome, Barcelona, London, Paris and Madrid. Lopez spent two years working on the project.

“This exhibition is aimed at students primarily and photography lovers,” said Denise Gerson, associate director at the Lowe.

The event lecture is sponsored by the Werner and Marie Stiefel Family Endowment, the Fedor Family Endowment and the Linnie E. Dalbeck Memorial Foundation Trust.

The Exhibition Preview is set for Friday, April 11 from 7 to 10 p.m. The artist lecture will be featured from 7 to 8 p.m., and the reception will be from 8 to 10 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.

– Kendra Zdravkovic

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...