Hecht in recycling war

Last year, the University of Miami participated in the Recycle Mania competition among 400 colleges to determine who could recycle the most items. This year, it’s war.

Floor Wars, a recycling competition between the 12 floors and both towers of Hecht, began Feb. 27 and will continue until April 22, which is also Earth Day.

UNICCO, the company that provides the university’s janitorial services, already collects and keeps records of how much aluminum, plastic and glass are recycled in each floor’s recycling bins. Those numbers will be tallied for residents to see their progress.

Floor Wars was started by resident assistants in Hecht, the dorm that recycled the most in last year’s Recycle Mania competition.

Floors three and four in McDonald Tower are tied for first place, and results will be updated tomorrow. Prizes have not been finalized, but Hecht is aiming to get a tree in the arboretum dedicated to the floor that wins.

“I think the idea for a competition between the floors to improve recycling is a great idea,” said Greg Potteiger, a freshman. “It could be very successful as long as students participate and there’s some incentive for them to do it.”

As far as student participation goes, many students who spoke with The Miami Hurricane said they aren’t actually paying too much attention to Floor Wars.

“I just do what I normally do,” said Matt Diehl, a sophomore.

There are no competitions similar to Floor Wars in other residential colleges, but each dorm has a recycling room on every floor, a battery pickup and drop-off box and recycling in the lobby. Earlier this year, Stanford showed An Inconvenient Truth and gave free pizza to anyone who brought recyclables.

Brook Frazier may be contacted at b.frazier@umiami.edu.

Recycling bins are located at the Law School Quadrangle, Allen Hall, Memorial, Cox, UC Patio and all residential colleges; pick-ups are done weekly

Last year the University of Miami placed 120 out of 140 schools for most paper recycled, and 146 out of 149 for most bottles and cans recycled.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...