Greeks giving back to community for Earth Day

Greeks will come together this Saturday — not to party, not to compete, but to give back to the community.

On April 12 the University of Miami’s Greek community will hold its second annual Greek Earth Day, a service event in which fraternity and sorority members help restore and maintain the environmental health of the surrounding area.

During the day-long event, members of the university’s Greek organizations will be divided into small groups and visit various sites around Miami. The sites, which are all outdoors, include a veteran’s home, the Miami River and Kendall Indian Hammocks Park.

Greek Earth Day was founded by senior Evan Gilead of Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Yadira Garcia of Alpha Delta Pi.

“This is a way for us to increase inter-fraternal bonds,” said Gilead, an executive chair for this year’s event. “We all have our separate community service events, but this one is for the whole community.”

Junior Coleen Busby, the other executive chair, said that the volunteering would help counter negative stereotypes that people have about Greeks.

“This [will]be a great way for us to show that we care about our community, and that we’re not just concerned with our own social affairs,” Busby, a member of Delta Gamma, said

Participants of Greek Earth Day will be meeting April 12 at 8:30 a.m., in the UC Lower Lounge. Any Greek organization is welcome to come on the day of the event. Breakfast and lunch will be provided. For more information, contact Evan Gilead at 404-272-1347 or Coleen Busby at 201-259-3973.

Ashley Calloway may be contacted at a.calloway@umiami.edu.

University’s green initatives:

A bike campaign is planned for next semester to encourage students to drive less and save gas. Students will be able to purchase a bicycle for much less than the regular store prices. “We are looking at providing $50 bikes with free locks,” Alan Fish, vice president of Business Services, said.

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...